1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Year TJ?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by RONK, Nov 23, 2010.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm going to start looking for a TJ,is their a best year/years to look for?I'm looking for a 6 cyl. with a manual trans.Thanks.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

97 was the worst year, in 2000 on up they moved the AC compressor I'm not sure about tranys

3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I think only two years had the NV3500 trans if you're into sticks... It's supposed to be the best manual available in the TJ. This is all from memory, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. I know my '01 had the NV3500 and I think the other year or two that had them were right around there.

4. theplowmeister

from MA

The 2000 TJ has the NV3500

5. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

Oh Great, I got the worst year:dizzy::realmad: What makes the '97 the worst?

6. tracerich

tracerich Member
    from Earth

97 Junker here too it seems. LOL. Seems to work for the few resi's I do, and my shop parking lot..

7. theplowmeister

from MA

Its not a bad Jeep (97) but they did have some engine performance problems and If I remember rite tranny issues.

I would not feel bad If I had a 97, but if I was looking to get one I'd go for another year.

8. snowrangler

snowrangler Junior Member

Sport and Sahera both had dana 44 rear axle option-standard on Rubicon. new venture 5sp.2000to2004 Sport and Sahera only