1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best year for the Duramax?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, my diesel itch is coming back... my '03 is starting to show her age, and I'm thinking about going to a DMAX...

Question is... what is the best year/generation for the Duramax? Both in terms of less issues and MPG (before all the emissions "stuff" was added to them)?

Thanks- convince me to stick with GM and not jump ship to Ford!

Thanks guys!

Matt

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

2007!!! Classic! LBZ!! Completely stock I got 23.5 MPG on the highway on a 2.5 hour trip one way going 63mph. I've never been able to do it again tho. Now, with the leveling kit and bigger tires and the toolbox etc I average about 19mpg highway going 70mph

3. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Try to find an 06 or 07 classic (lbz w/ the 6 speed) Bone stock over 20mph on the highway.Plenty of power to spare. 360hp 650ftlbs. Good Luck. If I drove a F-rd, I'd probably break out in a Rash.

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well... the search begins... I'm just not that impressed with new trucks right now, don't want the emissions stuff, but want the MPG and power of the mighty Dmax!

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Is there a good place online to find LBZ's?

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yeah the 06 model year was good, I think that was before they did the whole low sulfur crap and the dpf. And they have plenty of power, I test drove a reg cab 2500HD back in 06 with the Dmax/Allison combo. I would be willing to bet they will be fairly easy to find once people start trading them in for the '11 model year Dmax trucks. So just wait till summer/early fall and that would probably be an ideal time.

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Id say 03 to 07s. Each series has its pros and cons. LB7s had injector problems (mine are still original after 6 years/ 110k miles and 5200 hours on the motor). LLYs had the itroduction of cats and egr valves which fail and he LBZs obviously had them too. All diesels will have something go wrong on them at some point in time, especially ones with egr valves and newer ones. I had a 07 LBZ for a year and the 6 speed was sweet. Id say find something in your price range that has been taken care of and go with it. You shoulda bought mine in 07 when I was lookin to sell it. Ill be replacing it in about a year.

8. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I guess I was saying any of them are good. Just read the title, If I had to pick one year id go with a 07 LBZ just cuz its newer and no DPF.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Dont be afraid of 04.5-05's. I've had 2 LLY's and love them. LBZ's are a little better with having the 6 speed and a few more ponies, but local driving sacrifices a few MPG's for the added power. You make up for it on the road with the 6th gear though. All in all I'd say they average out about the same. The turbo mouthpiece on the LBZ's breathes a little better too, but something that can be done to the LLY cost effictively if you wanted to. I've wanted to, but never have. As for EGR's and cat's on the 04.5-07's, that's easily taken care of with an EGR blocker plate ($15) and removing the cat. You just have to tune out the EGR, which most tuners these days do.

If you can afford to, may as well stay away from an LB7. I love my LB7's, but newer is better and why deal with eventually having to change injectors if you don't have to ;)

10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Diesels manufactured 12/06 and earlier will have less emission controls on them.
    LBZ is the motor I would look for.

11. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

LBZ's were made what years?

What kind of MPG differences between the 5 speed and 6 speed?

12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

LBZ's are in some 06's and classic 07's i believe. It's true about the EGR crap, I had to replace the EGR motor earlier this winter which sucked- and is now why it's getting straight piped and blocked in a few weeks! I love mine that's about all i can say

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

All 06's have the lbz. Just some of the early 06's had the lbz motor with lly tuning. The lly tuning just gives it less power stock.

14. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have an LLY and haven't had a problem what so ever with it. I've done the EGR blocker plate,LBZ turbo mouthpiece and am going to do the PCV reroute. The 6 speed would be nice at times it's not a big deal. I can add the tap shift to my 04 for $500 if I wanted to also. Either way LLY or LBZ you'll be happy with.

15. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

If you want to get technical about it, an LMM is nearly identical to an LBZ too- except it has emissions extras

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

2011's have a 6000 lb GFAWR (supposedly) good if you're considering a plow.
    Sure to have cranked the Hp and Tq again too... Fuel economy.. schmuel economy it's a truck.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds like the 2011+ trucks will be halfway decent on fuel going by a few reports that I've read online.

18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info guys- I think I'm after a '06 or early '07 as I'd like some warranty as well as the 6 speed.

What are your thoughts on this truck? What would be a fair offer on it? Would its aftermarket mods void the warranty? What is the Dmax warranty?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/1597973974.html

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!

19. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Looks like a alright truck, id try to get him down 2 to 3 thousand though. You will most likely have no warranty with them mods. Dmax warranty is 5yr 100k on the 06's and the 07models have 5yr 100k on the whole drivetrain.

20. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Hey, that looks like my truck!!