1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best year for a pullin truck

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Jay brown, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i thought about building a pullin truck and i have a handful of PSD's and i know they don't have what it takes at the track to pull the sled 300'...i think a dodge is probably the best way to go.....i'm sure the longer the WB the better so at least a excab...what tranny?a manual or auto. what years would be the best as far as easily and cheeper to modify? BTW this is not going to be a NTPA Super Stock with multi windmills and modified tires. this would be for street stock 2.5" thanks.....jay
  2. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I've been beat a number of times by the older 12 valve Cummins. LOL It seems they run a 4 speed manual, larger turbo and injectors. Compared to the PSD, way cheaper to build the Cummins.

Someday, when my Powerstroke takes a dump, my F350 is gettin the Cummins in it......
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You will probably be waiting a while
  4. Jay brown

i'd stick to it's roots and go with the dt466 instead
  5. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Gonna need some front end work to jam that monster in there, but at least then I could back it up with an Allison!
  6. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Doesn't Ford Motor Co own Cummins?

Man, to have a cummins in a Ford Super duty...........:gunsfiring:
  7. Jay brown

they used to own a portion, but sold several yrs back....you can get one in a 650-750 i think.
  8. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

is Np 435 or T19 great for this cummin puller?

I would like see cummin in Ford superduty

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Any post 91.5 12 valver will do!!!!! Why not stuff a 5.9 Cummins in a 4x4 4 door dually from the 80 s. Some simple mods and stacks....... That would have a winning wheel base.

RODHALL Senior Member

you need to get a hold of the who you'll be pulling for and see there classes.

up untill 4 years ago we had diesel and gas trucks pulling in the same class....

now there is 3 classes under 5000lbs street legal for smaller trucks suv, the 6500 lb gas street legal and 7000 lb Diesel street legal.

As far as what to use NP435 4 speed seems to be trans of choice with the GM and dodge guys in both 6500 and 7000lb classes. NP205 gear drive transfer case is also hot item with the gm and dodge trucks Dana 60 Fronts and dana 70-80 rears

The gas class is more competive, a really bone stock can run competively... the diesel class last year a twin turbo 12 valve spanked everything.... every time he showed up everyone else was running for second...
    the twin turbo 12 valve jumped up and pulled in 10,000 open class (he weighted in 8000lbs) and finshed 3rd
  12. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

anywhere from 1994-1998 12 valve with a p pump on it is the way to go. the p pump is the mother god of all injection pumps, you can get fuel plates for them pretty cheap.also the injectors on the pre common rail are alot cheaper to buy. if seen alot of people put a 24 valve head on a old 12 valve too. keep us posted:salute:

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Goes to show that mechanicial 12 valve engines are as good as every one says they are. No wonder the clean trucks will pull the big coin!!!!!

Keep us posted !!!!!
  14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Like everyone said, get a 12v. The tranny won't hold up at all. You will have to get it built up.
  15. Jay brown

is that you vehical?? nice hook....looks like in our 2.8" inlet class you can run dually, would that be the better choice being that your cutting a different road on the back? what about a 4door long bed? would that be better? i know they didn't make 4 doors for a long time but you could get an older chassis...
  16. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

I wish! I've been looking for a nice condition 12v for a while now but like others have said the clean ones are still pulling in some serious $$$. Someday... someday... for now I just look at them online...
  17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

The P-7100, or 'P pump', is the little sister to the mother god of all injection pumps.

The mighty Sigma inline 6 injection pump. A pump that used to live on the engine block of diesel locomotives in Europe, now available for $10,000.00 from Columbus Diesel Supply. Might as well pick up an HX-82 turbocharger while your'e there.

Wait, your gonna need two of those, drill your head out for some giant John Deere injectors off of a combine or something, (The Sigma pumps a HUGE amount of diesel fuel into the 5.9 Cummins engine block) and then figure out where to mount 13 or 14 water injection nozzels, (No, you can't drive around with 2300 degrees of EGTs)

This sport is fun, isn't it?
  18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd have to say a 94-98.5 12v backed by a nv4500. That also gives you a dana 80 rear over a 70 rear for the automatics. And probably an ext cab, long bed would be best for wheelbase and getting all your weight forwards.

Here, this should get your blood flowing a little.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLeQMG3j-6o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLeQMG3j-6o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Started out as a 1997 2500, 12v/nv4500.

He has now gotten rid of that truck and built this monster:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFThgeehKv0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFThgeehKv0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  19. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

All dodges are good for pullin! Just make sure it's in neutral first....... hahahaha
  20. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member