1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best year Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Mar 23, 2008.

Best year Chevy

1. 73-87

30 vote(s)
  2. 88-99

23 vote(s)
  3. 00-06

19 vote(s)
  4. 07-08

4 vote(s)
  1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Just for S&Gs, whats you guys opinions as to what was the best Chevy truck, I only narrowed it down to vague groups by year/body style, it could be narrowed down a lot more.

1) 73-87 hard to break, cheap to fix. susceptible to rust
    2) 88-99 still good driveline, galvy panels, better ride
    3) 00-06 more motor, less rust, getting fancier
    4) 07-08 jury's still out
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) 73-87: Always have, and always will own at least one. Classic styling. Can virtually buy parts at your local 7 Elevan, and can fix anything on them with a screwdriver.

2) 88-99: Nice body style. Durable for the most part. TBI/Vortecs easy to keep alive and reliable.

3) 00-06: Got fancier..but wont fix one along the road. Very nice driving/working trucks. Excellent drivetrains

4) 07-08: Body panels are paper thin. Excellent drivetrains though. Only time will tell...

The ultimate isn't on the list though. It'd be the 73-87 body style with an '04-up D-max or 8.1/Allison conversion done...which I'm working on. ;)
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I will have to go 73-87. They had the soild front axle, and were built like sherman tanks. All you need for repairs were a screwdriver, pliers duct tape and zip ties.

As far as the ultimate 73-87 goes, you left a few itmes off B&B. First of all I would keep the frame from the new HD as well and convert it to solid front axle. The new frames are so much bigger and stronger than the old ones. A nice fat D60 in the front and keep the full floater in the rear. Put the LMM Duramax and 6 speed Allison in there. Then cap it off with a nice 84 Body painted light blue. Put some nice stacks on and with a 9.2 Boss Power VXT:nod: That would be a bad ass truck right there
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

What can I say?

B&B there is a guy who sells on ebay that has done a show-quality looking conversion on one installing the Duramax, and sells copies of CD's full of all his notes, photos, and conversion info for around $25... I was considering buying a copy just for S&Gs.....
  5. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

73-87 Good all around ineexpensive trucks. I really wanna get one soon to turn into a muddin truck.
    88-99 I own 2 of them, and love them.
    00-06 I love the 01 and 02 Chevy HDs with the raised hoods. <- Great looking trucks. Any year Dmax or Allison gets a thumbs up from me.
    07-08 The GMCs aren't quite as Fugly as the Chevys. Its gonna take a loooooong time for me to stomach the looks. Drivetrains seem to be still solid.
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like I agree with all you guys. I like the raised hood 01-02 look also, but the only one I'd buy would be a Dmax, and those weren't the best years for Dmax. I also like the older ones the best, because of the looks and the economics. Speaking of economics, if money were no object I'd build a crewcab dually (or srw) 4wd with a Dmax and Alli combo, using an 87 nose. Maybe 89 nose, I don't know, I had one on an 81 and it looked cool but those little lights suck when they're high up off the ground. (no offense Derek).
    All said, the Dmax would be cool but cost prohibitive and more likely to be overly sensitive. Still have to go with the smallblock. I'd just feel more secure when I'm whipping the snot out of it at 3:am that there isn't much to go wrong. And if it dies on the road I can pop the hood and fix it with whatever is in my glovebox.
  7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree with evey one.

But the 87-99b are still tanks and EZ to work on.

"But then again I did buy a ford lol
  8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

1) 73-87 Never owned one and probably never will but I hear they are great with a solid fron axle!
    2) 88-99 I have always liked them, my dad owns a 98 and it rides very nice
    3) 00-06 I have an 03 I love this body style, I love the look of the fender flares and raised hoods. Very nice and good working trucks in my opinion.
    4) 07-08 I would like to own one I like the new headlights etc, but I am still trying to get used to the new style...

As long as its a chevy its good with mewesport!

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I owned a 02 hd silverado and loved the look of it with the raised hood and the fender flares. I know own a 04 gmc duramax allison combo, and love it. Although I liked the look of the 02 chevys I didn't like what they did in 03 with the headlights. Thats why I bought the gmc i own now.
  10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

73-87 Hands down. Hopefully I will be buying one this summer and turning it into a good off road rig.
  11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

73-87 are indestructable...unless you live where thye salt the roads...then they'll dissolve right out from under you. My 85 was a brute, but it finally returned to the earth.

Never was too crazy about the 88-99 models...the styling just never caught on with me. Early models seemed to have bad front end problems, but the later models were pretty good.

I find the 01-02 powerdome hooded HD's to be the best looking trucks around.

07+ are slowly growing on me...verrrrrry sloooooowwwwwwllllllyyyy. I bet they'd look nice as a slammed hot rod truck though, the square look works well there.
  12. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

now thats a conversion i can not wat to see.
  13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

We better see pics when that truck is done B&B ;)
  14. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

well my 93 2 wheel drive has 220,000. cant kill it 5.0
    95 4-4 160,000. plows like a champ cant kill the 5.7 0000000000000rust on them both
    but i do have 2 fords also
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've seen a copy of his CD before Derek. It's pretty good for someone like a DIY doing their first transplant...fairly simplified. He wastes a bit too much disk covering things that anyone thats doing a project like this should already know. Makes a big deal out of removing the PassLock from the ECM and setting up the fuel system. The wiring isn't as tough as he makes it out to be either. Their not the hard parts of the swap...the worst parts is getting the intercooler and plumbing to fit in the shallow confinements of the 73-87 core support and making floor clearance for the Allison. Takes a 2" body lift or floor pan surgery to gain the necessary clearance for the trans.
  16. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Keep us posted on how that ^ little combo comes out:dizzy:
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Indeed I will..:salute:
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Kind off like a Meyer Snowplow. ;)
  19. yancy

yancy Senior Member

73-87 we owned too many to count still own one that plows easy to work on!
    88-99 we have owned 6 great trucks would buy one again in a second
    00-06 own one now it has had its problems (computer, security system, gauges) love the look but I feel that things started to get cheaper but love the interior and DMAX!
    07-08 look horrible! ride nice but will take a long time to own one
  20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In many retrospects yes, except way more dependable. :)