1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Work Truck (diesel engine/transmission combo) Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Looking for opinions on the best year round work truck that will be used from pulling a mowing trailer, applying lawn chemcials, to plowing and possibly salting ...i'm thinking a regular cab with a 8' bed (3/4 or 1 ton) would be ideal for a better turning radius...what made me start researching is the fact that i own a '08 super duty 6.4 and love it but it gets terrible gas mileage (11.7 mpg), we recently bought a business that came with two cummins and they are amazing, prob somewhere around the 20 mpg range ('98 & '99) but are notorious for terrible transmissions

Ford: '99-'03 came with the 7.3 which is apparently the best, then '04 to '07 was the 6.0's which were problematic, then '08 to '10 which are ok but also have a better torqshift transmission starting in '08?

GM: all i really know is the LBZ was made around '06 which is apparently the best? and has the allison transmission, arguably the best transmission out there

Dodge: any cummins seems to be great but i hear the 12 valves were the best around '98? notoriously terrible transmissions tho

(not all info may be exact considering years, just trying to give a general idea)

they all seem to have strong pro's and con's, what do you guys think is one of the best make/year considering engine/transmission combo? especially considering MPG and power

...and no, i'm not thinking about putting a cummins in a super duty followed by a allison transmission, even though that would be bad ass
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

You could always put a tuner and exhaust on the 6.4 to get a little more mpg's and power out of it. You're not really going to get any good answers because everyone is a little biased towards the brand they own/like. Another option is upgrading the trannies on the Cummins.
  3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Put a tuner and dpf delete on your 6.4 and have a totally different truck, you will be happy.
  4. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

the best truck is the one whitch get maintained on regular bases, but for a work truck you can't get better than Ford period. most people who get 20 MPG do not haul big ass trailer either. and they don't have flatbeds. or dumps.
  5. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I am not going to get into a pissing match which is the better truck but IMO for a "used" truck if you want a bulletproof truck get a 07-09 Dodge with the 6.7 and auto. No other brand can touch the power train in it.

If you don't believe me search Ford 6.4 and Dodge 6.7 and see which one has less complaints about the drive train. Chevys where just a little soft for me in the front end but they would be my second choice. I just wasn't crazy about he look those years. The new ones are much nicer.:drinkup:

If you want one Cheap then go with the Ford, I hear there are a ton available:laughing:
  6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Take the money you were planning on spending on another truck and get in touch with http://www.destroked.com/ and have the best of all three worlds.

Ford body, Cummins engine and the Allison transmission, AKA the perfect truck.
  7. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

yeah i've always been partial to ford, haven't ever had a big issue with the 3 that i've owned (ranger, heavy duty, super duty)...had a dodge and had a lot of issues with it, just was not reliable what so ever, but it was a gasser...now have two cummins and love them, still a few transmission issues tho...i would agree that fords are a great work truck, solid front axel and reliable...don't have much experience with GM but i'm sure they are a good work truck, just curious and everyone's .02 cents.

i definitely wanna chip/dpf delete my 6.4 but it has a great warranty on it still...
  8. cold_and_tired

By Dodge, did you mean FIAT?
  9. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

dodge 3rd gen!Thumbs Up
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

cool just a test
  11. D&E

D&E Senior Member

I've got a 99 F250 with the 7.3. It currently has 232,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ. The motor is all original except for new injectors at 180,000 and a new alternator. Gets around 20 mpg on the highway if I drive it easy and put Power Service in the fuel tank. Picked her up for $5,800. Best truck I've ever bought.

One of my subs runs a 12 valve Cummins. It has 193,000 on it and it is still running strong, too. He did have to rebuild the transmission last season, but other than that it's been good. It does have a fair amount of rust on it compared to my truck, though.

If you maintain your truck and don't abuse it, any of the big 3 will work many long and hard years for you. They all have their issues. Drive all 3 and see which one "feels" best to you.
  12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

To each his own. Ford truck, cummins engine, allison tranny. Ford has the best weight ratings. If you want to salt I wouldn't consider a SRW truck
  13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I dont hear anyone mention the '04.5-06 LLY Chevy/GMC. No major probs and good mileage. If you dont like the Silverado front end (which I can blame you) go with the GMC. LBZ is great motor too as long as you dont put alot of power adders to stock motor.

My personal vote is build it. Get an older truck like mine, get a 1 ton frame and box it, throw in a cummins and alli and have at it. Lots of work but one of very few.

Every truck is going to have flaws. Its nature of the game. I do love the Cummins but hate the truck around it...mainly the interior. Ford stopped making good trucks after the 7.3L IMO.
  14. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Yup, still better then a ford that pisses diesel all over the place and won't run because the injectors are garbage. I don't care how good the body is, if the truck won't move the body isn't any good.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What frame would you use? General Motors, probably. You get the nice IFS that way. :nod:
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  16. cold_and_tired

How about using a F-550 or Dodge 5500 frame with H1 axles? Stout frames and the IFS and IRS would be perfect.

I think I'll build one once I win the powerball.
  17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not again...
  18. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

Allison yes. Anything chevy, no! they cost more to maintain then to own. Buy a ford and put you truck dreams to rest. I would not/will not ever buy ANYTHING made by dodge. Pretty much everyone I know who owns anything made by them has had major issues. I know a guy who took a $10,000 loss to get away from the dodge POS to buy a chevy. I'm a ford guy! SFA is the way to go as well. Best luck to you.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  19. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Get a standard
  20. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Issues with a 6.7 and the new tranny? Please elaborate?