1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best winter tire.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ikold, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ikold

ikold Junior Member

Am running Hankook MT/R's now. Am not happy with their snow and ice performance. Am looking to get into a severe snow/ice tire (studdable perhaps).

Is there a tire you keep coming back to ?
  2. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

i got the bridgestone dueler rivo love it going on my 3 set would not buy anything else, last a very long time
  3. Sierrabarry

Sierrabarry Junior Member

I also run the Bridgestone Revo and have been very happy with them. The Blizzaks are nice but you can't use them in the summer.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

MasterCraft MSRs have been the best I've used so far. Hakkapeliitta makes an LT series snow tire. Hakk is one of the most respected names in snow tires. The MSRs and Hakks are both studdable. I've been using BFG ATs so far this year. They are brand new tires. They are OK, but don't hold a candle to the MSRs. And my BFGs are not real wide either, 31/10.50. They will be coming off next week and last year's MSRs are going back on.

Remember that a true dedicated snow tire should come off for the summer. They are soft, and will not last long.
  5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I put a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's on my own personal truck this season, 2008 Chevy 2500HD ext cab Duramax. In 22 years of plowing snow, they may just be the most impressive tire I've ever used. Truck is like a bulldozer with them.
  6. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Anyone run the T/A KM2's?
    They don't look like they have the right sipping but have the size I like 255/80R17
    Just cant seem to find a narrow 33" on 17" rim.
  7. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I run the MSR's on mine for about 6 yrs now best tire in my book for plowing I just can haul my equipment with them but thats what i have a brother in law for. You cant hardly stop these tires. But their a really soft tire so I only run them i the winter.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Matt - those MTs look like they would be horrible. With some siping, they might be OK though. The size you are looking for are almost impossible to find. I presume you have to run 17" rims on your Dodge? There are a couple more options in 16".
  9. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Yes..17's or bigger because of the larger brakes the 16's won't fit.
    Allot of people like the MSR's and my tire guy has em so I may have to use the LT235/80R17. I have a spare set of 17" wheels.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My MSRs are 235/85/16, basically the same size. Get the studs if they are legal in your area.
  11. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

So far this winter they only have three storms or so on them about 6500 mi on them. They are not true mud tires since they have the mountain/snowflake symbol on them. My backup guy just got them too, and we both ran Cooper ST and he thinks these have better traction. I have no idea about longevity but for me they have been very predictable.
  12. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Based off of some opinions on here and other reviews, I am going to try the Mastercraft MSR's with studs next year.
  13. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to try General Grabbbers AT's next year. A couple guys from my FD put them on their trucks this year and love them. My past 2 sets were BF Goodrich Rugged trails. Like them but they wear way too fast!
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I hated the Grabbers AT2s. Absolutely dreadful. I ran 235/85 on a 3/4 ton truck. 700 lb spreader, a ton of sand or better. Couldn't move the truck in 2wd.
  15. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

What are they? Look kinda like the Goodyear Dura Trac
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I suspect the reviews on the Dura Tracs are going to be just as bad as the Silent Armors. Short life span.
  17. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Just got the Cooper Discoverer M&S on the gmc this year. Unreal in the snow/ice. I have plowed in 2wd a lot so far because of them.

Also, on the dumptruck we have Cooper STT's if I remember right. They have been great too. They look like an aggressive mud tire but do pretty good in the snow!
  18. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

I have the Silent Armotrs on a Jeep with 35K and lots of tread still left.
  19. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Dunlop Rover M/T MAXX TRACTION
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Matt, you can't go wrong with the MSRs. Especially where you have the spare rims you can change them easily at the end of the season.