1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best way unload a snowthrower?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BladeScapes, Oct 21, 2007.

1. BladeScapes

BladeScapes Junior Member

I just bought a Troy Bilt Storm 1130 snow thrower, and it's pretty heavy. What's the best way to load and unload that thing out of the back of truck? I was thinking about using my carpenter buddy and fabricating some kind of ramp out of wood. I know I don't have the cash for some fancy unloader. What ya'll think? Oh and by the way it's supposed to snow here metro denver tonight!!! Hope It accumulates, It's been snowing pretty good in the rocky mountains already!!

98 F150 4x4
    Meyer ST 7'5"
    Troy Bilt Storm 1130
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

For somewhere around a c-note you could get a set of aluminum ramps. I use these for snowblower, walkbehind mower and motorcycle. I did start with wood ones of oak lumber I had on hand and added some traction material and ramp ends by Rampart, but the weight difference alone was worth the cost of the aluminum ones. The Oxlites are much better in the traction department too, and have a safety cable to prevent them from falling off.
  3. topdj

topdj Senior Member

throw the snowthower in the snow that will cushion the landing. :D
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Forget about wood and buy the aluminum ramps, they are worth the money.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I second that. When taking the blower out of the truck you will need to be carefull. Once you get it to the top of the ramp it will come the rest of the way quite quickly. You are going to have to push against it the whole time to stop it from crashing down. I learned this the hard way and mine is only a Toro 826. Also buy the longest ramps you can afford.
  6. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Just back up really fast with the tailgate down and then slam on the brakes. :D Some type of metal ramps are your best bet.
  7. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Used wood for the first 5 years. Ice builds up quickly on the wood, hard to get off. Aluminum, give it a good bang and the ice falls off
  8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Northern Tools has some great aluminum ramps for around $300........up to 10,000 lbs....
  9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

try www.harborfreight.com the shipping is only $11 and they usualy have some $59 steel ones that is what we use and i have loaded a deisel kawasaki mule 3010 with them, and besides you don't need 10,000lb'ers
  10. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Sell that thing to powerjoke, and buy a toro ccr. Problem solved.

11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

they have a wide range of weight capacities....up to 10,000 lbs......duh.....

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

For quick clean ups I have the smallest single stage Toro in each truck. You can lift them in the box or put them in the v box salter. For the big clean ups use the alum. ramps and the two stage blowers. Yes the salt kills the little blowers but you can still get 2-3 seasons out of them.