1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to widen plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.R. Services, Jan 14, 2010.

1. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

I have a 7.5 western ultramount pro plow but its on a 01 3500 dodge dually. Option one. I was thinking about letting my welder take a look at it and roll some steel and extend the frame a foot on each side and then getting a 8.5' cuttting edge. Option number two, buyers pro wings.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The angle of the wings would help you carry more snow and might be cheaper by the time you pay for custom work and a new cutting edge.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'd go with the wings, if it was mine.

4. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

maybe somebody might make some type of trade with you. there is always interesting stuff in the for sale forums,

R

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

If it's widened a foot on each side it will be 9.5 feet....

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

wings best $200 ive ever spent

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Donuts have worked well for me.

For the plow, the Pro Wings would be the way to go. As mentioned, you might find someone who would want to swap, or you might find a bigger stand alone moldboard.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thats what I was gonna say.... :laughing: The 8.5 cutting edge would look kinda silly on it.

Besides the Pro Wings, don't forget Western makes proper fitting heavy-duty wings. Probably wouldn't even cost as much as the custom fab job, be much stronger than the Buyers pieces, and would still be removeable if a situation required a narrower plow or plow transplant to another vehicle.

9. J.R. Services

Sorry a foot on each side would be 9.5, i think 8.5 would be better. I'm going to get a price for fabing it up and a price for installing wings. I've seen 2 ways to mount the wings, some people overlap the wings and the cutting edge and i've seen it where the wings and the edge just meet.

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

As I understand it the western wings only mount on the newer ultra finish pro plus plow, and only on certain lengths.

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Theres a guy on here with them mounted on a Boss plow! lol A little creativity and anything fits anything.... :D

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

OK FINE------- Good point, guess beers on me!!

13. twcharles184

twcharles184 Junior Member

I would recomend wings but depending on the condition of your plow i would hate to cut holes in the moleboard in case of resale to somebody who might not want them but thats your call. There was a guy on here with pics of his own custom made western style wings with step by step pics. It looked pretty good and he said he had 120 bucks into them. just a thought if your guna fab some up anyhow.

14. J.R. Services

Welding shop said 200-300, guarenteed less than or equal to 300, for 6" on each side. By the time I buy the pro wings, ship them and get them installed, I'd have close to that in them. This guy has also built trailers and other miscallaneous items for me that have held up flawlessly and he knows how to make them look good too. He is also going to custom fit the cutting edge. If anyone has a link to the page where the guy custom fabbed extensions for his western, i'd apprieciate it. Thanks again.

15. procut

procut Senior Member

Yes, but just adding 6" on each side isn't going to make much of a noticable differance. The Pro Wings add like 10" plus are angled, you will move a lot more snow with them.

16. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

on a dually? how about both to make 8.5' expandeble to 9.7?

17. J.R. Services

I also thought of the possibility of doing both. Will 8.5 clear rear wheels?

18. starc

starc Senior Member

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

20. starc

starc Senior Member

Thanks bud :)