1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to transport a used snowman pull plow or any rear plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scitown, Dec 1, 2008.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Can a few guys lift one of these into the bed of a truck? I know the 7 footer weighs in at almost 500 lbs but how awkward of a lift is it? Can I put in on my trailer hitch and drive it two hours home with out hooking up controls? Im not sure if they have some sort of safety to keep it in the up position. Last resort is dragging a trailer down to pick it up but my trailer has a leaf loader mounted on the front and itt would make me nervous on the highway.

I would have posted this under the snowman thread but noone seems to read those.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put it in the bed. I hauled one that way. 2 of us picked one end up and then slid it the rest of the way in the bed.
  3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Cool thanks. Just didn't know how awkward they are to move around. Seems like a stupid question but its better than driving two hours one way to look at a plow with no way of getting it two hours back to the shop.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

yea. 2 people can make short work of it. thats how I got mine home. You could wire it to the batteries temporarily and lift it up and then disconnect it.
  5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Do not drive with out the hydraulics hooked up. Just throw it in the bed, stand it up on end and slide it into the truck. I drove an hour one way to pick up a rear plow, put it in the trailer hitch, and it eventually fell to the ground. Had to call my dad to help me take it out of the trailer hitch and lift it up into the bed....That sucked.
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Two people can easily throw it in the bed, one end at a time. Hooking to the hitch can be done too if you carry a set of booster cables, a spare battery, and some jumper wires... :D