1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best way to thaw a frozen sander half full of sand

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Morrissey snow removal, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

3 yrd hyway sande rhalf full sand salt been in the rain uncovered cause tranny had to come out now its back in and the sand is frozen any ideas thanks

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

put it in a heated garage?
  3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Do a search. I KNOW that has been on here. I think someone used windshield washer fluid, but that was only for a tailgate spreader.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Mix 4 gallons of water and 20lbs of calcium chloride and slowly dump it over the sand. Start with an area at the rear of the spreader by the dis-charge chute concentrate on the center and thawing the conveyor chain. once you get a hole at the rear and the chain unfrozen you're home free.

If you have too, mix another batch.
  5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Then put in to a heated garage. Or heck drive down to Longisland, with the temps here that will thaw out in under 6 hours. lol Good luck
  6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

like a few have said warm it up and depending on how wet it is you may have to unclump some of it with a shovel or something
  7. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

run a propane torch over it at one end and start clumping it out.
  8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

we go to the self serve carwash, put it on soap ( our soap is the only hot water) and start soaking it,...try the spreader, soak it , try the spreader, soak it..ect you might need alot of quarters but it has always worked for us
  9. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

washer fluid or diesel ones alittle cheaper then the other but if not gonna spread it dont waste it till u need it
  10. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Heated Garage 6 to 10 Hours Thats the only cure no matter what anyone else says!!!!!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's the best idea. If you need it right away you can take a bar to it and breakit up, but with heat it will spread off.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Heated garage with radiant heaters. Park the truck directly under it. Wait untill the sand salt mixture is warm to the touch and dry. No matter how long you plow for this will happen at least one a season. Had a batch of pure salt freeze up in 2.5 hrs this season after one of those killer artic fronts rolled through after 1" of rain and 99.9% humidity.

13. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

diesel fuel? in the bed of your truck,sure, ok i am sure the insurance co. will understand.:dizzy:
  14. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I've had this happen to me on a much smaller scale, of course I was able to break it up with a pick ax, and shovel, but I would probably agree with just putting it in a heated garage overnight or something like that. I could see pouring some water in it with the calcium to break up the essential parts of the spreader. I've never heard of using washer fluid. Maybe just dump a bunch of de-icer in the spreader