1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best way to take off v box spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Guzzo856, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

do most of you do it with a chain or just put it on a forklift and push it of and on. I tried taking it off and on with a chain but its veery unballance. So we have to put it on the fork lift level it up then push it on. This takes 3 ppl. Is there a better way???

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we bolt ours to 4x6s then the forks go right under, also easier to clean underneath. otherwise use a chain and a second guy to do the guiding

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

2x4's or 4x4's and like longae said, you can fork them off or clear around the bottom easier. If not find the balance point and chain it off.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Like the others said. We have also straped a pallet to the top & picked it up that way.

5. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We use a chainfall, it is a little unbalanced but 50# bag of salt thrown towards the front levels it right out. Then use one strap on each side of the back to hold it strait as i back under it. I have been doing it this way for 12 or more years.

6. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i use an engine hoist. works great, i load/unload myself. lift it up, back truck under it. lower it into the truck.

7. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

Excavator with a hydraulic thumb. I just grab and lift.

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I lift mine with my tractor and a chain. I have a chain hook on the inverted v. It is a 1 person job, 2 people are nice if available, but I can install it in about 2 minutes myself.

Before I had the tractor, I did it with a beam and a chain hoist. What a pain.

9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Back it under the chain fall in the heated shop, lift it, drive out from under it, and set it down on the roller cart. Rinse and repeat.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Under Tailgate Salt Spreader!

Sorry, had to be that jerk.