1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to solict residential work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike Fronczak, May 31, 2002.

1. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

What do you guys think is the best way to solict residential drives. Doorknob hangers, mailings, add in community news???Trying to decide which way. Commercial is easy to get work, but pricing here is getting teribble. Thanks

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Lots of money to be made in residential. I like to traget a specific area. This keeps the routes compact. Using mailings or leaving flyers has been successful. I think the best way though is word of mouth. Get one customer in a neighborhood and then give them an incentive for referrals. I credit my customers one plowing for a referral. I have one guy I plowed for free the whole year two years ago. I did not mind because he gave me 12 new customers.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For me, an ad in the local "shopper" was best. I offered free plowing for referrals, but didn't get anywhere that way. I tried signs on the truck and a sign at the end of the drive. I haven't had anyone call saying they were responding to either of them. So far, all the callers have said "I saw your ad in the Town Line". I even got a call from Conneticutt who had a month old paper wanting me for his camp here.

I think I wasted several hundred dollars last year on signs.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

When I started up, I used CTfireman's method of flyers and also offered free plowing for referals of contracting customers. I also put a professionally made sign at the end of my driveway. It took a little time, about 4 years, but now I have over 100 customers inside a 5 mile radius.

The key is to be dependable and reliable, once word gets out of your service, people will seek you out. I haven't advertised in over 10 years now.