1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to secure skid, trailer At condo???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok well we just got the contract for this condo complex, sadly to the death of local snow removal company owner. Anyway i want to keep my skid, 8' pusher, 24' trailer, 2
    ATV's on site in addition to a couple liquid tanks..

i know it sounds like alot but it has been okayed by the owner so im good. but how do you guys secure this stuff????

The trailer is to keep a set of tools, the 2 atv's, walk behind spreaders, shovels and a pallet or 2 of rock. It would suck lugging that back and forth during a storm! Works as cheap advertisement also!

the liquid tanks are the least of my worries, they'll be in the back, with a removable valve handle so no one can take my liquid.. But as for the trailer, pusher and skid im not too sure what im going to do yet.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That just sounds like too much on one site for my liking.

Regardless of how well you secure your equipment, that's just a lot of risk.

At any rate, I'd be calling my insurance agent and making sure my equipment was still fully covered in that situation.

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

How about getting a shipping container? you an rent them on a monthly basis or you can usually buy them fairly cheap. I plowed a Walmart years ago and we managed to keep a container out back with a skid steer and a triaxle of salt in it. As I recall it worked pretty well but it was a little tricky fitting the salt in there since the roof was a little short. Funny how they can stretch a little when you need them to:laughing:

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

DIDO, this would be the way to go, out of sight, out of mind. Plus they might appreciate looking at 1 container (hopefully in good shape) versus looking at all of the equipment. I would put everything in a 20ft'er and put the skid steer with pusher in front of the doors, push box first. It also keeps the equipment out of the weather and if the equipment gets a bit frozen just throw a torpedo heater in there for a couple hours and good to go.

5. Plow man Foster

My insurance covers this all the way down to the ATV's in the winter. Only had a skidsteer stolen once. I quickly received a text that it had been removed out of my set boundaries, We rolled into this guys shop with 4 trucks, and 13 beefy guys. He gave us the skid then we called the cops after we had left. Only thing is they dont makes something that i know of for a trailer unless i rig like 12 batteries in it... Im really worried about the trailer. Specifically the doors. Also the Condo really doesnt want a Container, dure to appearance. I showed him a pic of my trailer and he liked it better

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

You could rig a GPS to a single battery on a trailer - similar to what happens on a truck when it is parked in your yard - they consume very little power.

Mount the battery on the front so it looks like it controls the breakaway emergency brakes. Wing nut the wires on so it is simple to change occasionally.

Pull the wheels off the trailer - fit a piece of painted plywood (3 sides) infront of the missing wheels so that on simple glance everything looks standard.

Wire fence compound around the trailer and equipment.

Make a custom ball lock for the trailer hitch. Big square box welded on. Fix it solid to itself. In the spring bring your cutting torch and cut it off.

Trailer doors are harder, let me think on it, but thier are lots of ways to be creative about it

7. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

OK I am a little confused...let me see if I understand.

1. You have a 24' enclosed trailer and you want to put the ATV's and spreaders into it along with tools
    2. Two Liquid Tanks
    3. Skid Steer with pusher

So Basically you are just worried about the trailer being taken/Opened up?

I could park the trailer and do what GOEL suggested with taking the wheels off, and just position it so you can park the skid steer in front of the doors so they can't be opened. Issue here might be if the skid steer didn't start for some reason.

8. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

HAHA that guy must of **** himself, what was the guy like? But anyway what type of system did you have to track you skid?

9. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

What I recall doing in the past was seeing if there was an empty unit, that you could use the garage.

A site I used to service, that's where we stored pallets of salt. The shovel crew carried all their tools, all night. It was basically a remote salt storage, but would work for equipment too.

10. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

Put up a fence around it all. One of those chain link portable ones. Put a big lock with a bigger chain on the gate to get into it. Install a trail cam to catch pics of raccoons and snakes that want to try and sneak in. Put a run of electric wire on the top of the fence. Then put some barb wire all around it.

11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Have good insurance with good values on the equipment and dont worry. IMHO.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Wire in about 5 12 volt batteries surrounding the equipment and let them be the ground,lol

13. Plow man Foster

Oh he did! I was carrying my "HEAT" once he realized that he got real nervous!
    Didnt have to touch it once! I Cant think of the name of the system we have right now, but it works JUST LIKE THIS!! (CLICK HERE)

Yupp i checked already he said there was nothing available but my buddy said its a real liability and he prob. didnt want to add that "risk" to his list.
    With this being a new account i didnt want to push him like i would any other customer.

I do, It just sucks to have something like that taken because you have to call the cops, file a claim,etc etc... Such a process!

:laughing: lol i wish i could! No fences allowed!

14. Plow man Foster

Yupp im going to have to figure something out because it has 2 doors.
    I think i will end up cornering the trailer in. I'll be back there on monday to finish scoping the place out.

Ideally i would like to corner in the trailers Front and side door with a wall or fence, Then drop the pusher on the tongue of the trailer (which has a ball lock on it of course!) maybe i can put enough DP on the tongue to get the skidsteers tires off of the ground A TAD bit!

Good ideas! From what i can remember reading a while ago for our GPS systems they only work off a Standard 12V Deep cycle/battery for 30 Days without being charged. lol might get like 5 batteries!

15. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

With proper bracing and reinforcement will the skid fit in the trailer? We were going to do this on one of our sites but the skid is too tall. If it worked your skid gps would effectively cover everything. Or block up thetrailer and take the wheels back to the shop. We did this last year to store a generator, and quad, snowblowers and calcium at an industrial park.

16. Plow man Foster

Thought about it but i think my Cat 262 would break the gate on my trailer!

17. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

If the ball on your tongue is of the bolt on kind your can just unbolt it and take it with you. I used to do that with my old enclosed. If there's not ring there they can't take it. You could also make another door and bolt it to the inside of the trailer. Stickers that say there's a GPS tracking device I would think would keep most people from even going near it.

18. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

I would make an interior lock as we have done this in the past, and it works really well. I did it where there was a bar horizontal top and bottom. Make sure to use a really good lock on the outside and keep the tumbler well lubed over the winter as well. I would Take the tires off if the client will allow you to and maybe get trailer skirting from an rv dealer in a similar color or paint it the same color and put it around the bottom, or even do painted pressre treated plywood. That way you cut down on the draft and snow build up underneath the trailer and keep it looking decent with no tires on there. It is something you coould reuse somewhere else down the road as well.
    I would then park the skid and push box as you said.

19. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

Bolt the side door closed or park it next to a fence/wall remove the tires off the trailer and park the skid blocking the back door and if your that worried put a cut off switch on the skid and hide it