1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to retract lift ram.....

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tbusciglio, Nov 1, 2010.

1. tbusciglio

tbusciglio Junior Member
    from Oregon

.....with plow on the ground off the truck.

Bought a used plow and the ram is up. I cant get the head gear to rock back level enough and high enough to hook up to the truck. Kinda new to this so any hel would be appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the truck up to the plow, plug it in, press the lower/float function and pull the lift arm down.

3. tbusciglio

tbusciglio Junior Member
    from Oregon

I tried that and it didn't move. but come to think of it, I'm not sure if i had both harnesses plugged in.

I thought it took more weight than what I could give it to get it to retract. should it make any noise when you lower it. I know I can hear the solenoid kick over on the up and angles but not the down.

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

The down function does nothing other than open a valve so the solenoid does not function since no motor activity is required.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. tbusciglio

tbusciglio Junior Member
    from Oregon

My contrtol does not have a float light on it. If I hold down the button, does it just automaticly go into float mode, or was there some models that did not have a float mode?

6. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

just push the lever on the controller down it will go into float mode

7. peterng

peterng Senior Member

6' pinch bar

8. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Push down on the joy stick or button for like 4-8seconds then hop out and push down on the lift triangle.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can get more leverage to pull the lift arm down by using the chain. Use your foot and push in at the middle of the chain.

But you need to get it in float first. If you are desperate to get the plow on the truck, you can loosen one end of the hose to the lift cylinder and let the fluid come out when you push the lift arm down.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yikes, you must have one slow controller. I'd be asleep between pass's by then. :D

11. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

haha no, just figured that since his doesnt have a float light, that that amount of time would give it plenty of time to go into float.

12. tbusciglio

tbusciglio Junior Member
    from Oregon

How much pressure does it take to push the cylinder in? I tred it last night and could not push it in by hand. there is nothing good to pry against as the triangle is mounted to the top crossmember of the headgear. Sitting here thinking about it I could take a rope and tie it in a loop around the top of the headgear and slip the pry bar in to make a useable pry point and try it again.

13. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I have used that technique before-with a prybar and a strap. If it hasn't moved in a while, it takes a bit of force because the rubber seals won't have the coating of oil they need to help it slide nicely. The best way is to push sideways on the lift chain with your foot-but a strap and an 8 foot 2x4 will get it to move (as long as you are plugged in and the plow is in float mode).

14. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I wasn't kidding, 6' pinch bar. Mine won't go into float by pushing down either.
    Pete

15. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

6' pry bar won't get that bar to drop without the plow in float mode. Still need to connect it.

16. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

you can also rachet strap the triangle and the plow frame and rachet away it should pull it down

17. tbusciglio

tbusciglio Junior Member
    from Oregon

Tried the ratchet strap and it didn't move. I then extended the ram all the way out and the ratchet strap did the trick. Everything is working great. thanks guys

18. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

sound like the piston has a rust stop on it clean it up real well and lube it with some oil to keep the rust off of it glad you got it working