1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to replace cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Feb 7, 2012.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

The plow that came off my old truck had a (8 foot by) 5/8" by 8" cutting edge on it, and I plan to keep it as a backup. I want to change it b/c of all the following: it doesn't scrape the best (assume b/c psi lower), it trips MUCH EASIER than it should, its making my hydraulic pump work harder than i need to and last the truck is only a '88 2500 LD. I have another blade and want to swap edges, but I can't get the old bolts off. Shouldn't they have a slot for a screw driver or something? I have an impact gun, but both the bolt and nut spin. No amount of penetrating liquid has helped. I don't have a torch...

Assuming I find a way to get these off, how do you hold the bolt so you can put the nut on? :alien:

I'm assuming all of this is made difficult by the 5/8", which I believe means the 1/2" holes had to be drilled out - is there normally a square shoulder cut in the edge to hold the square part behind the carriage bolt head?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Get someone to torch them off. Or you could try grinding the bolts off but you might be there a while using a grinder. Maybe a sawzall. Good luck
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

When I replaced my cutting edge last year I torched them off.If you don't have access to torches you could take a cut off wheel and cut the head of the bolt vertically then horizontally make a T till the head falls off.Then take a punch and drive the rest of the bolt through the backside.As far as installation I took the new cutting edge and balanced it flat on a floor jacket.And then jacked it up to where I could get it on the plow and attached a bolt on the left side then one on the right side.
  4. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

OMG just pay some 40 bucks to do it. You also need a Air gun for bolts.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

6. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I think he means an Impact Wrench . Not a must have , should use lock washers though .
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

OP said he has an impact...
  8. chevyzrule810

You can get a set of cutting edge from like napa or your fisher dealer grade 8 with lock and nuts tighten with impact gun
  9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You shouldn't run an edge bigger the 6" Changes the trip edge chracteristics of the plow and you"ll rip it apart. Have made lots of money off guys over the years paying bif welding repairs because they tried to save a few bucks going with a taller edge to get more wear out of it. We run 6" edges on all or plows (Fisher striaght and V and change them every year. (Maybe not this year.)
  10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Ya know, an air soft gun.

What did you think he meant?
  11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

@ Flipper - I said I wanted to take off the 8" edge b/c it trips too easy.
    @ MrPLow2011 - what fun is that? Maybe everyone should give up DIY?

As noted, I do have an impact gun and an angle grinder, so I guess I can do the latter.

I didn't see an answer on how best to keep the bolts from spinning when reinstalling the new edge (since the bolt holes have obviously already been enlarged to 5/8")?
  12. ChrisFromBoston

ChrisFromBoston Junior Member

Electric angle grinder with a good cut-off wheel shouldn't take more than an extra minute or two per bolt to cut them off compared to torching them off.

If your new edge is punched for 5/8" bolts, you could just hog out the holes in the base angle to 5/8" to avoid the bolt heads spinning. I prefer 5/8" bolts anyway.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent usage of the expression "hog out" :salute:
  14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Tac weld heads to the edge
    Then later take cutter wheel on the grinder cut welds off
  15. chevyzrule810

Take an adjustable C clamp and a piece of flat steel a little bigger then the C clamp and clamp the head of the bolt to the edge
  16. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

The base angle already has 5/8" holes from the bigger edge on there now. But even if it wasn't, not sure how that would avoid the bolts heads spinning?

I don't have a welder, so I'll try chevyz's suggestion.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The cutting edge should have square holes...
  18. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I would think that your local garage would be willing to torch them off for a small fee - well worth it in my opinion. Shame you're not closer - i would be happy to burn them off for a cup of coffee (large turbo Hazelnut if you're ever in the area):salute:
  19. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have a torch but usually find its easiest and quicker just to use a cutting wheel get about half way through them and then hit the with the impact if the nut it still good or with the air chisel. Either way it usually just breaks them off.

Edge should have square holes punched. If base angle was drilled out to 5/8" then have edge punch square for 5/8"
  20. plowking15

plowking15 Member

Funny,but I have a eight inch cutting edge. The previous owner ran the moldboard to far down almost to the spring mounts. I need the extra clearance and I have scraped roads and cul de sacs for slush, I can wear an edge down quick. I had to buy the edge at a municipal supply,Fisher didn't have one more then six iches high. My plow is old,so no worries about voiding any warranty. plowking