1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to remove spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by burnsyscapes1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. burnsyscapes1

burnsyscapes1 Junior Member

whats the best way that yall came up with to remove a spreader from your truck and put it back on in-between storms. i cant set up a rig to have it hang, nor do i have a bobcat or somthing to lift it off. i am in a pickle, lol

any positive input will help. thanks
  2. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I have seen guys use an engine hoist to lift it out and put it back.
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Hang from a tree
    State here has Stands mounted to there speader Drag out of the truck and the stand holds it up
    Try get pic of it for you
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I forgot to ask how did you get it in there in the first place
  5. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

engine hoist. best way ever. i have a skidloader, and i still use an engine hoist.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Build a "A" frame and use come alongs to lift it then set it on some 55 gallon drums.
  7. burnsyscapes1

burnsyscapes1 Junior Member

im trying to figure it out, im storing it at a storage facility.

i bought it and the vender dropped it in the truck.
  8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

We use a 2 ton chain fault from harbor freight, they cost about 70,00 dollars. Hang a cable from two trees. Then lower it on a set of saw horses. Easy
  9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Why do you want to take it out then put it back in? that seems like a lot of trouble and work for nothing, unless you have to use the truck to haul other things...

to me it seems a waste as well as a liability (you could drop the salter, or hit it) installing it over and over during the winter...

But that is just me, I hate to do things over and over if I do not have to...
  10. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Was just thinking the same...
  11. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Mine stays in all Season.
    I take the spinner off between uses. But other than that if i NEEEED to haul something i use my trailer. I feel that the better alternative.
  13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

The guy is from Virginia. I guess if you only have a few events/year and want to use the truck for other things plus save the wear and tear I can see why he would want to remove it.

I use the front end loader on my tractor and put the spreader on an old beefed up picnic table.
  14. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I use an engine hoist as well
  15. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I am in KY, we do not get many events either, I think I was out 5-6 times last winter and we had a bad winter last year LOL...

Still looks like a good way to drop it and break something
  16. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I used to use a chainfall attached to the ceiling of my garage. My buddy built a swing set type of setup that he can drive under and loft it off.

I know you don't have a machine, but if you ever get one the best way to lift a spreader off is to mount it to an 8ft pallet and lift it off with your forks. I did that last year with my western tornado and now I can take it off in 5 minutes by myself.
  17. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

can someone explain to me how an engine hoist would work in this situation??
  18. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You take the engine hoist, chain it to the spreader, then to a tree/pole or any other big stationary object and drive forward really, really fast. The wires will unhook when the pressure is applied if you use quick connect (twisted and duck-tape).

The spreader then falls to the ground upon all the beer cans in the drive, breaking the fall and smashing the cans at the same time and you have the hoist already hooked up for when you want to put it back in your truck.

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

this is the exact reason why I and apparently some other people don't belong owning a Vee box.
  20. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Chain hoist attached to the ceiling in my garage. But with the spinner off I can get my truck in the garage so I'll only take it off if it's going to be a week or more between uses.