1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to remove seized pin?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Oct 17, 2014.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Trying to remove bottom pin from lift ram and its not budging. Took Deep Creep & BFH out but started to tweak the 2 mounting lugs. Any way to remove and save the piston? Only thing I can think of is angle grinder but then I'll need a new ram...

2. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY Member

Heat lots and lots of heat. put a picture of the pin up and maybe we can get a few more ideas

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Could a propane or MAPP gas handheld provide enough heat? If so guess that's an option but assume that will force a rebuild to replace nuked seals...

Heat on the pin to make it expand and hopefully break the corrosion etc then try to remove when cool, or heat the lugs and piston so it makes some room and remove while hot?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Heat the cylinder base not the pin.
    If you got it to move a little then some heat might do the trick. Heat and hit back in, then out, etc..... You can try the mapp gas if that's all you have. Worth a shot.
    Also, try vise grips on the pin head. While heating wiggle it.

5. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY Member

I second this ^

as dieselss said dont heat the pin if you can avoid it cause then the pin will expand and make it tighter. and the back and forth to loosen up some of the rust thats holding it in.

6. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

oxy acetylene to cherry red b4 melting points , comes off real easy

7. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah do not have oxy :)

To clarify: the pin hadn't budged, I was just starting to bend the two mounting tangs on the headgear by whacking the pin. Will give it a try tomorrow.

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Wheno stuff is rusted together heat it up and douse it with water. The sudden heat cool cycle will often times break loose the corrision. Not suse how much room you between the piston and seal area but if there is enough room you can take a wet rag and zip tie it to the ram just before the seal. As you heat it up use a spray bottle and mist the rag, hope this helps.

9. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

propane . hook a torch to your bbq tank .heat heat heat, cat piss, heat heat heat then a beating

10. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

If you can, cut the pin with a sawsall just inside the mounting tabs. Then you can put it in a press. Also if no press available just drill it out.

11. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Soak it in PB blaster and let it sit for awhile

12. Ramgto

Ramgto Junior Member

I had to do this to mine. No heat or rust tool would break it free. Tried drilling it, going to be tough as its a hardened steel. Ended up using a 40 ton press to get it out and even that was having trouble.

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

It's been 2 weeks since he posted, hope he got it out by now...
    Be nice if he kept us up to date the suspense is killing me...

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea....I'm losing sleep

15. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

x2 my nails are down to the quick!

16. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

LOL you guys are cracking me up. Have been so busy its still sitting there. Hopefully towards the end of next week I'll have some free time. Once I touch it again I'll be sure to update :)

17. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

seized pins

Just solved this situation, cut the pins with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel, use a shop press to press them out, the gauge went as high as 15,000 psi on one of the pins before it popped so I would say you need a minimum of a 20 ton shop press, I had access to a 60 ton so it was pretty easy but they make quite a noise when the finally break loose. This was all with out any heat too, with the use of a torch it would probably require less pressure to get the pins moving.