1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best way to remove a welded on mount?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by birddseedd, Mar 10, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

What is the best way to remove a welded on mount? would like to not destroy my frame.

2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

leave it Thumbs Up

3. birddseedd

o_O doesnt leaving it on the truck kinda defeat the purpose of taking it off?

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Really?? How do YOU think you should remove it without destroying the frame? You should use a circular saw, a torch with the biggest rosebud tip you can find, a chain, and the nearest tree

5. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

exhale after the deep puff

6. birddseedd

o_O.........................

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The first step is to not weld the plow frame on in the first place. Torches and cut off wheel and flap wheel grind it smooth.

Let's this be a lesson to any other green horns lurking on here thinking they will become plowers too.

8. birddseedd

I wasnt big on the idea when i started. but i made quite a bit with it. drilling a hole at a 90 degree angel without the right tool is darn near impossible. woudl be nice if i had a torch, although im not sure if torching holes is the best way either. next setup shoudl be much better

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Dude, cut that frame to pieces and get rid of it. Leave as little of the plow frame on there as possible and grind the welds carefully until they are very thin and almost gone. Then take a 3lb hammer and knock off what's left of the plow frame. I wouldn't put a plow back on that truck at all. The frame could very well be fatigued and weaker from all the welding and the forces of plowing on spots that weren't meant to. And now you will likely remove some frame material if you don't go all the way through in some spots.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  10. birddseedd

might be a good idea to have a pro welder find and fix weakened spots?

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

You DO realize NOTHING I posted would work, right?? Well maybe the chain and tree

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I can't wait for the chain and tree video. :yow!:

13. birddseedd

i dont have a torch so dont really know what you were talking about anyway.

i ll probably just end up taking a grinder aroudn all of the edges of the metal grinding through the welded spots. then clean up. paint over the exposed metal and figure out how newer moutns are attached.

i can posibly get a torch from a friend and try to do the same with a torch. neve rused one tho. so i may end up doing some repair work to the frame.

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

It would be the most entertaining thread he's had:D

15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Well a rose bud is for hardening or bending steel into or back into (a) shape.
    Why did you weld the mount to your truck? Did you notice that the hitch was bolted to your truck. That's for a reason. But I'll let you figure out why...

16. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Air arc it!

17. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Reminder: No personal attacks against members of the forum are allowed

18. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Saws all with metal blade.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Cut everything you can out of the way, Then depending on the room you have either Air Arc or plasma and gouge all the weld metal out.

No matter how you do it you will, have heat effected zones which will cause issues down the road if you bolt a plow on, have to do some frame repair and destroy the existing plow frame.

20. birddseedd

appriciate the feedback. ill do some research if i am able to get a newer plow.

when i welded it on i knew it wasnt best pratice, but i did what i had to do to get it working. next setup ill have the resources to have it more properly installed