1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to Remove 300000 square feet of ice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by miker4312, Feb 6, 2011.

1. miker4312

miker4312 Junior Member

I am in Dallas TX where there is no snow plow business. I was called by a company up north to look at a parking lot of a Distribution center full of stuck delivery trailers. The ice was 5 inches thick in most places and they had shut down the whole center. They wanted the whole thing salted and broken up and removed. Because of the Super Bowl being here this week Salt was being sold for 900 dollars a ton and Potassium Chloride even more. Front end loaders were my choice but it was too slow on other jobs and I don't think it would have done it. No one has snow plows. The guy who got the job charged 90000. Was this fair? How much should it have been?

2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

if you don't usually have situations like that and prices like that for salt and potassium, and you have a business that needs to be open and going, probably yes.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Any price is fair for snow and ice in the south. Even if you would have used 7 tons of salt at 900 dollars a ton that would have cost you 6,300 dollars. Then if you brought in a wheel loader without a pusher or anything and figured you could clear 1/2 an acre an hour it would have taken about 14 hours to do. Cost the loader out at 200 dollars an hour that would have been 2,800 dollars. So the salt and loader would have been less than 10 grand. Kind of makes me want to pack my equipment and move to Texas, lol.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Get all the drunk Pittsburgh and Greenbay fans and takt then to the site and let them take a nice long piss. ......

5. C&T Landscaping

C&T Landscaping Member

:drinkup::drinkup: Drink up!!:laughing:

6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

**** if i knew it salt was goin for that much i would of sent a bunch down.

7. leon

leon Senior Member

Dallas snows

The problem with your situation is that it was a
    freak occurance-referred to as a "Force Majouer".

Front end loaders dont work on ice period because
    thay have no ballast in the tires or snow chains on
    all four tires.

The same applies to 4 wheel drives with no spin
    differentials so your done before you start.

The only successfull way is to have an older
    all hydraulic crawler with finish treads and a
    surplus jet engine mounted on it with a cab
    elevated above the crawler and jet engine.
    and to the side of the crawler.

Considering deep mined salt could be obtained
    from Morton in Grand Saline, Texas or from
    United Salt in Hockley, Tx., at the Hockley Mound
    on Warren Ranch Road for less than one
    tenth of this price; this price per ton was
    obscene and gouging and the contractor
    will be visiting the "Dallas County
    Jail" as a guest within a short time I would
    bet for sure once the district attorney in
    Dallas County hears about it.

The only way to remove this much ice is with a
    kerosene fired jet engine powered snow and
    ice melter which we have several up here for
    the railroads to clear switches and crossings.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

This one has to take the cake. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing:.....................Leon, What are you Smoking

10. Matson Snow

Kerosene Fired Jet Engine........That is some Funny Stuff.....:laughing::laughing:

11. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

$90k???? Damn!!! I would have laid the salt down about 1" thick and waited a few hours, then go after it with a loader. I mini-ex with a hammer attachment would have been good for the thicker spots.

12. leon

leon Senior Member

ice etc.

weeeeell if you dont believe me you won't believe that CONRAIL and now CSXT who inherited this equipment from them uses jet engine powered snow blowers to burn out and remove ice and snow in both the Albany and Buffalo N.Y.switch yard and there are several videos of the machines doing it on youtube.

They have a bunch of MIG engines attached to old tanks to get rid of snow in Moscow, Russian Republic as well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  13. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

14. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

So Leon, what holds the jet engine in the parking lot?

I get the railroads using them, the tracks hold the machine down.

15. Matson Snow

Its Not that i Don't Believe you Leon....I know they Exist....But, I dont think the average joe can get there hands on one for Melting ice on a parking lot....

16. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

wow, theres sure some "novel" ideas here....

how bout you go in and salt her up good, let it sit a while and find a couple graders
    and go a scraping

17. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I'll come down and salt everything for 10K :drinkup:

18. Matson Snow

If you read the OPs post........Salt is $900 a Ton due to a few factors...He is looking for alternative ideas.....

Thanks for the Salting idea...I don't know if anyone would have come up with the idea to Salt Ice........Thumbs Up

19. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

They just get better.............. :laughing:

20. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

as for the loaders being useless on the ice, aren't you starting on one end and peel away as you go?? thereby allowing the machine to work on cleared pavement?? i dont get this, surely there are no shortages of 3yd plus payloaders down there. rent a couple from sunbelt and go to town.

900 a ton!!! shoot, ill ship the remainder of mine i bought at 68 and pay full price of 90 for whatever else ill need this season.