1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Way To Put On A Uni-Mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ilhmt, Nov 30, 2006.

1. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

What's the easiest way to put my blade on? I struggle with it every year and always get it on just fine but not without a lot of cussing and struggling. I've only had it a couple of years and leave it on all winter because of how hard it is to put on. Is there any tricks or tips to putting the blade on?

2. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

i put my plow on a 4 wheeled furniture mover i can move it with ease just build one with 2x6's and casters to the height of your mount

3. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

If you have to foot on try this. Line up close. Leave the head gear- tower pin in, the long skinny one. Take out the foot lock pin. Use the head gear to raise or lower the a-frame by pulling it back and forth. If your truck mount is at the right height there should be no problems anymore. Put main pins in. Lift head gear to link arms. Lock foot up. payup payup

4. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

I found it easyier to take the leg off the thing and use a floor jack. Makes it easy pull up put the pins in, raise the tower plug it in and away you go...........oh and put the leg up. As you can see i forgot that last step alot, so just took it right off. Hope this helps:waving:

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Honestly, I followed the directions printed on that backside of the plow the first time I mounted it. Ever since then I've done it that way, 7 years and I can get it hooked up in about a minute.

6. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Thanks all. Especially you, JohnnyU, since we're only about 30 miles apart. I'll go give it the old college try.

7. RipT

RipT Senior Member

As long as you have smooth weather-sheltered surface (garage, carport, etc) I have found a set of three snowmobile dollys plus a floor jack works great for me. Two of the dolly platforms have a groove that the edge of the blade sits in and the foot sits on the other (I turned it upside down).

I roll the whole rig into position and then use the floor jack under the center to get the weight off the foot and then line it up for height. Takes less time to do it than describe it in words. These dollys have small wheels, so only works on a smooth clean surface.

Rip

8. killakane138

killakane138 Junior Member

got ya

definetly use a floor jack its the way to go i have all for of my unimounts on in less the 20 minutes with a floor jack definetly, place it were the old jack is in the middle of the plow, its the way to go forsure

9. Brandon

Brandon Member

20 min to put on a Unimount? I have a level surface for mine, which some of you may not, but I can have mine hooked up in a few minutes.

10. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I just follow the directions and put it on in less then 2 min but i put the plow on many many many times a winter

11. kaptainkosmic

kaptainkosmic Junior Member

This is the easiet way!

I put the plow on a skid, pick the skid up with a forklift drive it right into place put the pins in, lift the tower put the pins in, make the 2 electrical connections, back the fork lift up, drive away! 5 mins max usually about 2. thought you might get a grin!!!!

12. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Why wait

I can hook up the uni-mount in two min. just follow the instructions like posted earlier. I don't understand why people wait till you have snow on the ground before you hook up. I hear people say that the truck sits higher when there is snow on the ground (well of coarse), so whats the problem with hooking up before the storm comes, all three of my trucks get hooked up prior to the storm and un-hooked after, cuase I hate driving around with the plow on. To me thats just more wear and tear on your truck not to mention wasted fuel. :confused: