1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best way to prevent over heating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by I HATE RUST, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I HATE RUST

I HATE RUST Senior Member
    from PA

what is the best way to prevent over heating

and if you are starting to over heat what is the best way to cool the motor back down?

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have a snorkel I built today from PVC fitings attached to the plow on one of my trucks that is in stage 1 beta testing. I will report back with my findings.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never had a problem with it, but from what I understand, drive with the plow as low as you can without hitting the road.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

driving with the plow low helps. if you start to overheat pull over till its back to normal

5. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

I HATE RUST - I have a 2004 Silverado 2500HD and a new fan clutch assembly fixed my "running hot / overheating" issues. Not sure of your exact issue - but this solved mine. If you are seeing the overheating with the plow "up" while you are driving - you may suffer from the same problem I had. Chevy had a technical notice on this.

Again, not sure of your exact issue - Would you mind providing a bit more info? Are you seeing this issue with a plow or without a plow? (possible fan clutch assembly if you have a plow) - If you are overheating w/o a plow - then you might have another couple of issues.

When you get a chance, provide more detail and someone should be able to help.

Good luck!!

:)

6. I HATE RUST

from PA

over heating

the truck is a 2003 chevy 2500 hd with a gas motor

the plow is HD boss 7.6

I have herd something before about this year truck having a bad fan clutch. I guess I should just replace it then ,thanks

it is when the plow is on and as low as it goes

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

If it does run hot run your heater inside the cab on full blast. You'll have to roll down the windows but it helps cool down the coolant a bit.

8. 2004chevy2500hd

Let me dig up the notification from chevy - you should check to see if your truck is part of that "notice" - I'll post it once I find it.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Go to your local auto parts store and get the extreme duty fan clutch. It takes about 30 mins total to change out.

10. 2004chevy2500hd

See if this helps you out....

www.phastinc.com/plowsite/chevy_notice.pdf

It a scanned doc (pdf). Should prompt you to download.

On there you'll see the quote that my local Chevy dealer quoted ($364)

I'll second RBRONKEMA GHTFD thoughts - if you can - just do it yourself

PS - You'll see part numbers on there - make sure that you get the right gear ratio...

And no, I did not have the dealer do this

:)

11. I HATE RUST

from PA

thanks very helpful

12. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

hey phil how did the snorkel work?

i am have some issues myself when going over 40mph with the plow up.

13. Philbilly2

I works ok, until you get above 60mph, then it just can't keep the air flowing to the grill. my issue is not that the truck overheats, I am just trying to keep it from getting over 210 degrees. At about 220 degrees, the motor pulls real hard and wastes more fuel.

I need to do a little more work on it.

14. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

thanks phil,

mine has that same issue it starts getting hot, not overheated, whenever i go over 40. i was debating trying to bolt some sort of deflector to the lifting arm of the plow to get it to push some air to the grill.

got a pic of your setup? maybe it will inspire me ;-)

15. Philbilly2

I am going to tell you that I am going to the shop this morning, and I am going to take a picture for you, and that I am going to post it this afternoon... but as most people who have asked for pictures from me, you will need to remind me a couple more times before I actually get it done.:rolleyes:

16. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

LOL thanks dude i appreciate it ;-)

17. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hey everyone,
    Ive been plowing with a 96 chevy 2500 diesel,
    It overheated all the time.

I put the air flow on the plow,or a deflector....,, still didnt help & I drove with it high & then low, and then angled etc etc etc etc.

A few weeks ago, I lost heat totally in the truck.
    Took it to the mechanic shop, he told me that there were 2 thermostats in the truck,,, one which was actually cracked in half.

He says he changed both,,,
    nevertheless,,,, no overheating issues at all since then,,,, none at all....

Cant believe the difference,, im hiwghway driving with the plow on & raised all the way,,, no problems..

After youve checked to see if the fan clutch works,,,,, make sure the thermostats are working properly.

18. Philbilly2

Holy Sh*t!

I actually got the pictures!

Here you go. Just so you know, this a very primitave design. I went cheap with the corragated 90's, electrial tape, and a 24" ziptie. (not by best work) But it was what I could grab at Farm and Fleet quick as I was on my way to plow.

001.jpg

006.jpg

19. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

overheating

Heres what i have and done 2-1989 2500 with 8.2 boss v 1 1999 jimmy 6 foot meyer
    2001 silverado with 7.6 ultramount 1991 with 8 foot Western. I have had several overheating with all of them. I found that adding a severe duty fan clutch with a severe duty water pump has taken care of all the problems. The water pumps also will increase the heat that comes from your blower motor the heat blows me out of all of them now. I still had a problem with the temperature on the 1991 and could not figure it out. It would get up to 240 untill the thermostat would open. Long story short the radiator was not working properly. New one installed and no problems. I have did so many now that i can do a water pump and fan on a 5.7 in less that a hour. Best 100.00 i ever spent. It eases my mind when others are driving my trucks. Change the pump and fan with a severe duty and install a good thermostat while you are there with a flush problem will be solved. If the truck has over 100,000 miles do not pull the drain plug on the radiator unless you want to take a chance on replacing it. Pull the bottom hose and the petcock will stay sealed. Trust me on this one had to learn the hard way on two of them. Plastic sucks for radiators.
    Thanks, Ron

20. Philbilly2

Got it!!

OK- FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what I did. I took the service bulliten, called Napa and had them cross the number because there is no way I was paying $230 for the stock Chevy fan clutch.

My 2001 Chevy 2500 with 6.0 motor and 4.10 gears needed part number 22149894- this crosses to Napa's part of 271304.

Cost of Napa's fan clutch - $53.00

Now that price I can handle. :nod: