1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to Pre-wet?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by affprop, Feb 12, 2003.

1. affprop

affprop Junior Member

What are your opinions about the best way to pre-wet? Is it better to set up a tank to drip on salt as you are applying or is it better to get a big tank with nozzels and let it drip out the back? Basicly doing it with a big tank you need to designate a truck to just this application. I dont know, what do you guys think. I really want to get into this and I want to have your opinions before the trade show in Buffalo. I just got NY Tanks catalog, are there any other suppliers I should contact. Thanks.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sounds like your trying to decide between pre-wetting,and using straight liquids for de-icing.

The straight liquids are tough.Surface temps,air temps,etc,all play a huge role in application.I have played around with them,but I am not comfortable using them as of yet.One thing I do like is the simplicity of the equipment.

For pre-wetting bulk salt,it's best to do it just as the salt comes off the auger or conveyor.Any further down and it's tough to get it wetted enough,and you lose a lot of liquid.

Here is a link for more info on pre-wetting and straight liquid systems

3. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Affordprop, Call NY Tank and ask for Jim Yonkers, He is a great guy and will take care of you and build you whatever size, shape, type, and price range you want. He custom made a combonation Pre-Wett/ Straight Liquid Application System for me for one of our one tons. He knows his stuff and will steer you in the right direction. Just My two cents
  4. capital

capital Senior Member

Brine Spraying

I think their is some confusion regardng pre spraying and pre treating parking lots. We pre treat our parking lots using a liquid Brine spray. It is cost effect and allows us to treat our parking lots up to 7 days in advance of an expected snow event or ice storm. Today we treated our lots due to a winter storm warning calling for ice mixed with snow tmrw. We did this during the day and now are crews are home for the nite, no need to worry about what happens with the ice rain tonite. The truck we spray with is also used for plowing, IE the tank is empty and spray bar stowed. We make our own brine and have paid for the system in 2 snow events. Now people are calling us asking us to treat their lots even though we do not plow them. It is a tool, we still use Sand and calicum when required and have an education process with our customers on what exactly pre spraying with brine means for them. Thus far we have been happy, and most of our clients understand it is just a tool, to be used in conjunction with other snow removal equipment.
  5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

would like to know more about your liquid brine set up, got any pictures?:)

6. capital

capital Senior Member

Will Post some pics early next week, sorry am dealing with a storm right now, but will get back on what ur looking for.
  7. mountain

mountain PlowSite.com Veteran

This seems like a good thread for a question about salt vs. liquid deicers. I went through 22 pallets of bagged salt already this year :eek: . So I've been looking into bulk salt and V-boxes but since we run only ½ & ¾ ton trucks dealer advised us to get at least a 1 ton truck to carry the V-box. I was thinking of putting tanks on our existing trucks and going to liquid applications. Can liquid deicers completely replace the need for salting? How about the cost compared to salt? And how much surface can be sprayed with a 150-200 gallon tank? More or less then 8 ft V-box?

8. capital

capital Senior Member

Here is a pic of the truck we use for applying Brine, Brine is good to pre spray parking lots and sidewalks to inhibit snow and ice attaching to the pavement. We have found it a useful tool, but still use sand and calcium were need to help control parking lot ice build up.