1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to line up plow with truck

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by BPK63, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I'm looking for some suggestions for next year to make it easier to hook up the plow to the truck. Currently I have the plow on dollies and roll it up to the mounts but I have to put a bar under the thing to lift it up to align with the holes so I can put the pins in and it's a real pain sometimes. Just looking for an easier way to do this next year.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I just put mine on 2x4's. Then I just attach the chain and the hydralic hoses, then use the pump to pick the back of the plow up. Get it lined up, put in the pins and good to go. Dont forget to push the pump ram back down, and adjust your chain. This whole process takes me maybe 5 minutes
  3. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Not to be smart, but, IMO, the best way to hook up a plow to a truck is by way of a
    Western Ultra Mount. :) You NEVER have to crawl around under the truck with a pry bar or use a dolly. Again, JMO.

I use to have Meyer plows and had the same struggle. I was soooo sick of it. When I purchased my truck in '02, I looked around at plows and when I saw how easy the Ultra Mount worked, it was a no brainer.

I had the dolly with my Meyer also. You may want to look at putting a block of wood on the dolly that would be at the height of your truck when you take the plow off. Other than that, I agree with the hook up the chain method, as I did that on more than one occasion, too.
  4. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

BPK63, Dolly and a small floor jack for my o'l speed cast. Hippy
  5. 24hrsparkey

24hrsparkey Junior Member

2x4's or I use firewood , and do the chain thing .............
    I'm telling ya hooking up the plow is just like hooking to a trailer hitch..... if it's "your"day its a 4 min job. If it an'nt your day its some face down action and 2 cig's.
  6. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I have dollys like this

But I don't have the threaded rod in the one that goes on the back end. Now I'm thinking to drill and put a threaded rod in there of some kind. Ahh I feel a project coming on. :D
  7. Whip

Whip Member

Use your pump to do the work for you like Sydenstriker said. Lift the plow slightly to take the weight. Then you can easily move it around to line it up. Put mine on in about a minute.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You could ghost ride it in!prsport
  9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have mine on a dolly cart and with a piece of 3/4 board under the a frame it gose right on in 2 minutes every time. Steve I'll post some pics tomorrow.

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

I built dollies for all my plows,I went to Auto Zone and picked up sissor jacks and mounted them under a frames.You can adjust a frame to your truck frame.I need to adjust mine every now and then,depends on if the trucks are loaded with salt.Try it,they don't cost that much..tazpusher
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I had the wife guide me in last night (the plow - what were you thinking?)
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So you found the hole last night (for the plow pins I mean).:D
  13. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Well I was going to work on something this summer to help align the plow better but.... Want to thank the people that suggested using the pump to lift the plow and then plug it all in. That was soooooo much easier than what I was doing. Tried that before this last storm. Worked well.
  14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Yah have that thing to lift the plow right in the middle of the truck. I have a ridge right down the middle of my hood. I aim the truck right down the middle of the plow. Lift the plow with the chain