1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to keep your Plow from freezing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ggwash21, Dec 15, 2004.

1. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Just wondering what some of you do to keep your pumps from freezing...(for the ones who dont have a warm garage to keep them in)
    i keep a 6ft heat tape cord wrapped around my pump when its cold out and works Great

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Change the fluid every year, keep the seals fresh, and dont let water get in it to begin with?
    Thats my strategy anyway.

Kevin

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I use Boss Hydraulic fluid and it's never froze.

4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i use meyer's deicing hydarulic fluid and never have had a prob (knock on wood)

Only thing that freezes is the blade to the ground, almost couldnt pick it up this morning to head out.

5. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

This year I have a heated shop to keep it in but last winter it was outside. I never had any trouble with it down to about -30 and any colder than that I didn't try it so I could not tell you if it would have worked or not. We normally do not get snow when it is real cold out but I would not plow when it is colder than -30 anyway. Steel and everything else gets very brittle when it is cold. As far as freezing to the ground I keep a short 2X4 under each end when mine is outside.

6. RAYJAY

RAYJAY Junior Member

change your hydro fluid and use the real plow fluid which is blue if you use regular hydro fluid it will gel up and make sure there no water in the fluid
    (fluid will look milky not clear blue in color) if there is you need to flush out your whole system not just change the fluid in the reservoir

Jeff

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Actually I think keeping it in a heated shop is not the greatest when being used alot because it promotes condensation in reservoir thru vents when being brought it from cold regularly. It is a mix blessing. I bring mine in onlt during extend breaks in plowing to check it over. Same with truck, I leave them out unless they need servicing.

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I use the old Western cable pumps (you can't kill'em) and change the fluid every season. Had them outside over 20 years without a problem (and in New Jersey the Winter's are COLD), and I use transmission fluid in them all. :nod:

9. Tarkus

They were a great system and they were kinda warmed too by engine.

10. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

never freeze !!

use automatic transmission fluid,,,, changed my fluid from the blue meyers brand to trans. fluid 3 years ago . before when i was transporting from job to job down the interstate the pump fluid would freeze . now it never freezes that auto trans fluid is great!!

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've never had a problem after switching to Amsoils ATF. Always clean and coat your ram with WD or similar and push it all the way down when parked. And maintain the seals as mentioned.

12. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

I by WD in the gallons and spray my blade and pump almost after every use.... keeps it in great shape...

13. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

When changing fluid be sure to change the fluid in the rams also. they are at the lowest point of the system and that is ware most of the moisture collects.

14. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

i normally pull the rams off and drain them and push/pull the rams in and out till almost nothing comes out..

15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i flush everything then use meyers fluid with a drop of rubbing alcohol drys the moisture

16. Tarkus

Very bad choice as rubbing alchol is at the very least 30% water by volume to begin with and will freeze quicker the methanol will before it even takes on any moisture. You do not want to add water to pump which you are doing with rubbing alcohol because the over the counter stuff is always deluted with water. Use "Dry Gas" or "Gasoline Antifreeze" or such as they are pure methanol alcohol when you buy them and will not add and moisute to system. You are durn lucky that you have not had problems yet because you will if it gets cold enough with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.