1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to hookup plow lights on an '01?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by larboc, Nov 18, 2011.

1. larboc

larboc Member

I don't have the plow prep package. Is there a connector anywhere that would make it an easy install, or am I going to need to tap into wires heading to the turn signals/lights?

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

You need to tap your headlights. Your installation manual should spell it out for you.

3. larboc

larboc Member

Installation manual, HA!

I'm putting a cable western on via homemade dual 2" reciver mounts, no manual for that. I'm getting close to having the mounting all done and beginning the wiring. I was planning on tapping the wiring harness. However when I wired in my brake controller I was going to tap the harness then until I found out you could just buy a jumper that had all the wires you need pre-run.
    Just wondered if something similar existed for the blinkers. I hate cutting factory wireing if I don't have to.

4. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i tapped in to my marker and turn signals. for the headlights i ran seperate using a toggle switch and relays but keep in mind i'm using halogen plow lights, if your running night sabers its different and also if your running drl its different. if you are running the lights using night sabers and cant find a wiring harness let me know as i have a complete harness with the drl module that came with my plow, it need going over and checked for cracked insulation and such but its all here and it came off a 2003 gmc 2500hd. I would sell it reasonable.it came with a meyer plow. Mike

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Different lighting systems on the 01 and 03. The 03 is high side while the 01 is lowside switched. you would have to rewire the adapters or buy new ones

6. larboc

larboc Member

Looks to me like western chooses to tap the lights right into the headlight wires, can the factory wiring support 4 headlights running at the same time, or should I unplug the factory headlights when running the plow lights?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They do a little more then "tap into the headlights" they insert a "Y" splitter then reroute the power though an"isolation module" which has the job of directing the power to either the truck or plow dependent on which is needed.

No your headlight switch will not like the extra load if you just "tapped in".

8. larboc

larboc Member

Yep, I just figured that out. The truck had at one time carried a boss plow and apparently the PO had forgot and left the double y-harnesses on each headlight intact. It looks like what they did is on each light they made two Y's of opposite gender that allows isolation module you speak of to be removed and their proprietary connectors on each side to be plugged back in so headlights run like they used to.

I cannot believe how TINY the factory headlight wiring is. I am in the process of adding two relays now (lunch and last of powerblock break).