1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best way to get good help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Guzzo856, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

i need about 3 or 4 guys for a crew, what is the best way to find good guys

2. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

The saying good help is hard to find is very true. I tried ads one year and went thru 30+ people before I gave up. Now I use friends and business contacts to see if they know anyone GOOD looking for work. Good luck

3. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

I'm currently near Max capacity running solo and I'm able to double my route each year as a residential snow blowing service running the fastest blowers and providing a superior level of snow placement over a plow service.

I would never do this kind of work for anyone else. Hours and working conditions are poor much of the time and you are on standby essentialy 24/7 including holidays.

I only do snow to cross promote my growing season services.

My criteria for a good employee for snow include the following:
    • Non smoker who is in excellent cardio shape
    • Needs to look presentable with decent grooming standards
    • Must have own winter boots and knows how to dress correctly for he job...very few do.
    • Willing to work 12 hours at a time at a fast pace with basically no breaks...pee bottles will be provided. Must never be sick or if your sick you can show up for work when sick
    This is what I personally put into to it myself. Looks like I will stay solo and continue to work smarter and hopefully not harder. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You can find people like that, but NOT at $8 an hour.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

we use the Iowa Workforce Site and you can tell alot about a person just talking to them
    it is free to advertise and screen people that do apply

6. I dont have a need to look often as I have 4 full time year round guys working for me as well as 3 seasonal guys who work the mowing season. However when I do need help, I have found the best way to find guys is to ask around with your business contacts, friends if they know of anyone that they can recommend that is looking for work. Since I already have workmans comp etc for my existing employees I simply sign them on as temporary employees (yes I file W2's and all...I prefer to do business on the up n up). I also have a contract with a local day labor company that will provide me any additional guys I need and if they suck I simply call the agency, tell them that these guys are fired send me x guys to replace them. I would recommend this option to those who are a legal business as a one man show and don't want to deal with the workers comp liabilty etc.

7. kyfireman2004

kyfireman2004 Junior Member

1 Have the person fill out a application at 5am at your local waffle house. After that tell the person you will contact them later. When you do call back have them meet you at 1 am for a interview at speedway or shell.lol . If the person shows up on time as looks the part give them a shot. If a min. late don't. Sorry but I am from the old school.....If someone wants to work they will show up on time...........I can train someone later if they are even trainable. I refuse to hire someone that is not dependable.....

2 Pay....you can't expect to have good people and not pay them good money.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  8. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Go to the tech school and pick up either criminal justice students or fire and EMS students willing to work. There are many kids fresh out of high school looking for work. You might have to be flexible about their school schedule, but these people are normally of high standards already and willing to push hard to earn a fare wage.