1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to get business (ATV Plowing)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by NeoThoR, Dec 13, 2006.

1. NeoThoR

NeoThoR Junior Member
    from Indiana

Okay heres the story. I have a cousin (Joe) who has his own Lawn Care business. So of course during the winter he plows snow. I have another cousin (Kevin) who helps Joe out. Kevin has an ATV which he sold to me and bought a new one. So now both me and Kevin have ATV's with plows. We take care of alot of small business and alot of sidewalks. We.. I guess sub contract with my cousin Joe and alot of the guys he knows. When there are big snows is when they need us the most.

But anyways... I would like to get some of my own business. Well it would be our business.

I need to know how to advertise and get business. Also whats the most you guys think I could handle.

With just me and my cousin Kevin.. we are working with the following.

2004 Yamaha Bruin 350cc (4x4)
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450cc (4x4)
    Both having plows(needless to say) and salt throwers

So.. how to advertise and get business?
  2. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I am no expert but it would seem to me that aside from residential driveways you may not be able to get much business. Grouping your service area would be very important. the reason I dont think you wuld get many commercial lots is b/c you need to be insured and IDK if you can even do that with atv's. Secondly a store owner most likely needs the lots to be cleared at certain or by certain times, which in this case would create problems. So I would imagine you would be capable of walks and driveways (primarily residential accounts). Focus on tightly grouped service areas and advertise with fliers. I would have no idea wether or not the price would be any different than somone with a truck, but it should be in the same price range if not cheaper to stay competitive and attract customers. On the positve side it could be a good way for you to make some extra $$ with very low overhead. Hope this helps!!!
  3. NeoThoR

NeoThoR Junior Member
    from Indiana

i totally forgot about the whole insurance thing.. :dizzy:
  4. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

where are you in IN.
  5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

drive around during/after a storm.

Friends kids make a killing doing this. They are making $200+ a storm, all cash with no expenses. And you guys can call them lowballers all you want, I say good for them.
  6. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Thats how i started, I went around after the storm and went door to door. I actually put wings on my plow so it was six feet wide. Made a killing every storm, helped alot of people out, actually still have the plow and atv today with strobes in the taillights and a beacon mounted on a pole.
  7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

What about subbing out to some commercial plowers that have commercial accounts. They always seem to be looking for young blood for sidewalks and such.
    Fall under their insurance and such.

If not drive around during the storm (if you can), like the others suggested and make a killing on the side. If you live near some of the folks in here complaining about lowballers, hit them where it counts. :)
  8. payton

payton Senior Member

what part of indiana are you from?

i know a few companies i might be able to put you in touch with around indy area.

ive also got access too a couple quads with plows but not sure i wanna hassle with it.
  9. NeoThoR

NeoThoR Junior Member
    from Indiana

Indianapolis Indiana

South side near greenwood
  10. go plow

go plow Senior Member

heres a thought, what if you get pulled over, have to pay a ticket and get your quad impounded? what did you make now? or do you trailer them across town ?
  11. NeoThoR

NeoThoR Junior Member
    from Indiana

we trailer them.. I do not ride them around all of Indianapolis lol
  12. go plow

go plow Senior Member

payup atleast you do it the safe way !
  13. NeoThoR

NeoThoR Junior Member
    from Indiana

i wish the guy who asked where i lived would reply back :(
  14. payton

payton Senior Member

email me at payton669 at insightbb.com
  15. Aaron36

Aaron36 Junior Member

Curious to find out more about you guys from Indy...I'm on the north side of town in Indy and trying to gain some business myself for snow removal. I'm also using the atv w/ plow approach for sidewalks followed up by a snowblower if needed. Focusing on residential snow removal primarily at this time due to current equipment. However, would be interested in any commercial work if situation presented itself.
    Flyers and word of mouth are a good approach for advertising. Even magnetic "snow plowing" signs I found online that you can post on your truck are a good deal for $40 for two 18"x24" signs.
  16. NeoThoR

NeoThoR Junior Member
    from Indiana

good info

I'll lyk how I go about advertising and if I get anyone to call me back for business.