1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to clear top deck of a parking garage with only 6' clearance?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joester, Sep 18, 2011.

1. joester

joester Junior Member

I am interested in hearing what you guys recommend, preferably based on personal experience. I have been asked to submit a bid to clear a few top decks of parking garages. These are (3) parking garages within 15-20 minutes of each other. Both are fairly tall, approximately 5-10 stories. The challenge is that they only have a height clearance of 6' to enter. In the event of a storm greater than 2", the snow must be hauled out from the top deck. (The snow cannot be dumped over the edge). My F350 dump truck and skidsteer loader are both taller than 6'. Does anyone have experience with this scope of work? Can anyone recommend a machine that can load and plow/push snow with a cab that is less than 6' tall? According to Bobcat's website, all of their machines are taller than 6'. A few ideas I am investigating for the snow hauling is using a dump insert in a small pickup truck or using a dump trailer pulled behind a small pickup truck or machine. As you can imagine, a rubber edge is required on the truck or machine plowing the top deck. Thanks in advance.

2. smash363636

smash363636 Junior Member

were are you getting the 6 foot measurement from. the sign on the parking garage or did you measure it your self ? your best bet is an sub compact tractor with the roll bar off and an dump trailer behind an truck you can get up there.

3. joester

joester Junior Member

Smash - Yes I did get that measurement from the sign. I will have to get an exact measurement before procuring any specific machine. I was hoping to find something with a cab so it would be easier to drive from site to site during the storms, and also use on other nearby lots. Thanks.

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Just something to consider...When you go back to measure for clearance, make sure you drive through slowly and check the beam heights as well. Also, look for any pipes or ducts that may be hanging lower. The main entrance may exceed 6', but the given height may be for a not so obvious obstruction...I used to do rooftops and that was often times the case. Some beams were so low, my radio antenna would smack every beam & if I didn't have the blade on, my roof wouldn't have cleared either.

5. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

If you need a couple inches, you could carry around a gas powered air compressor. Before you go in let some air out of the tires, get to the top, air up, get the job done, then reverse the process.

A buddy of mine had a Jeep CJ jacked up, and that is what he did to get it in the garage.

Just a thought, good luck.

kevlars

6. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Any young nephews that like to shovel snow??? :nod:wesportwesport

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

It might be hard to tow a trailer thru all the tight corners

I can't imagine even walking in a place like that I'm 6 2

Japanese minitruck?
    I know there is a kubota loader with no cab and then jd makes a tlb110 with no cab
    But not sure their height. Maybe their website says

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

what about the toolcat by bobcat.
    It can load and is low. Can also tow alot and has a small dump
    Bed but with a blower you could fill a few dumping hoppers and move the snow down the levels
    The snow will be compacted well thru a blower

9. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

The long construction tubes they use in building renovations over the top and into construction dumpsters should be ok. I assume it's OSHA approved since I see it everywhere in the city and they throw thing far worse than snow through them. Seems faster and cheaper overhead.

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

some skids are shorter then others, you might consider a mini skidsteer. I have to agree with the dump trailer, also I wonder if you asked them how the previous contractor (assuming there was one) did it

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

This could work the other way too. If it is just one obstruction that is keeping you at the 6ft mark, a skidsteer may be able to manuver around the obstruction without coming near it. I found the best way to do this is to take a 2x4 and cut it at the height of your equipment, then walk with it throughout the building,