1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to clear sidewalks along buildings??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowinli, Nov 19, 2010.

1. plowinli

plowinli Member

I am looking for some ideas on doing sidewalks along building. On one of our sites is 12 acres with 16 buildings and we have about 3500 running feet of walks with widths of 5 to 10 feet wide that all run along the parking lots. The problem is on the other side is the buildings with columns in the middle of the walks. We have been doing them with shovels, pushing the snow on the lots and plowing it away and when it gets over 4 inches or if it drifts we use blowers and shovels. I would like to use something better but I know the columns would get tagged if we used an ATV. An other problem all the walks dead end with bushes so what ever I use will have to turn around at the end or go off the curb turn around and jump back up the curb. I've looked at putting blade on a zero turn mower but it would be too big to turn around on a 5 ft walk. The last problem is moving whatever we use on the sidewalks from one building to another wastes alot of time.
    This is the way I see it
    ATV, unable to turn around on walk, can jump curb though, too high risk of damage
    Small tractor, too big, unable to turn around, ?? jumping curb
    Zero turn too big, unable to turn around on walk
    Any help will be appreciated, we have given this a lot of though but have not found the right machine. I would love to cut down on the sidewalk crews and the time it takes and I think.
  2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Skid-Steer w/blade.
  3. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Toolcat with broom or blower, small ss would work also.
  4. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

skid steer with blower

Bobcat S70 3.5 feet wide. 4 feet with blower. Lift blower up turn inside the sidewalk and go back the other way
    This baby Bobcat can fit in the box of a pick-up truck.We've been doing this since '94
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

If they will allow a Skid Loader on them, othewise maybe a ATV, or a mid size lawn tractor like the JD 455's with a blade or broom we use both. some place's will not allow a 6000lbs an up skid loaders on their sidewalks .
  6. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

A baby Bobcat with a blower is under 3000 pounds
  7. leon

leon Senior Member

sidewalks and architecture

The fastest and simplest way is using a BCS 2 wheel tractor
    and a broom attachment for any of the BCS models.

You can buy a mowing sulky to ride behind it quickly while cleaning,
    a trailer with a seat to tow behind it to carry shovels, ice spuds, tools,
    fuel cans for straight gas and mixed gas for a single stage blower,
    sand and a single stage blower and do it quickly with much better
    visibility for the operator.

The BCS 2 wheel tractors have a low cost quck attachment kit option
    that lets you switch implements like flail mowers or deck mowers quickly
    on the job with no tools..

It will cost you much less money using a BCS tractor and you avoid visibility problems and the twin braking systems allow easy turning and backing.

The sweeper attachment rides on guage wheels to aid in cleaning and avoid premature brush wear.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  8. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Very true, but most people that reply to what equipment to use on sdwks don't explain themself's good when they say use a skid loader.
  9. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

10. plowinli

plowinli Member

Thanks for the advice, sorry for the delay but I've been away for an extended weekend. I like the idea of the BCS but and the dual hydro. Grasskeepers have you had a chance push any snow yet? Please let me know how it works.
    While I like the dual hydro I don't think I'm ready for a custom setup like that and lean towards the two wheel tractor like the BCS.
  11. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

This year I'm with a company that uses a Toro Groundmaster with the Sweeper attachment up front. I asked a few questions about it and everyone raved about it in the shop. Its also got the Cab which we put on after mowing season.