1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to break open a driveway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Merc1100sc, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Whats everyones opinions on the best ways to break into a driveway, from the road, after the city plow has gone by... using a sraight blade, not a v?
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Take a couple cuts a it from the road pushing to the side. After you get the berm pushed away then plow the length.
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I guess this depends a little on where the snow is to be piled. The most common way is to come at it from one side or both the get ride of the drift left by the highway plow then clear the rest. I have also plowed straight in when the owner wanted the snow piled away from the end of the drive for better visibility(they preferred it piled at the end of a side apron rather that by the road).

For my parents I like to push a majority of the snow down the road a bit an place it at the end of there lot that way the large pile that accumulates is not right where they back out.

So I guess you do what every works for each situation.
  4. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

I kinda figured working it from the sides would be better than trying to break straight through it. probably wouldnt be so good for the truck or plow i would think.
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Same as above. Take into consideration too, the type of gutter and curb, and grade changes between road, gutter and drive. Steep approaches may have to be done straight on to avoid gouges.
  6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I do not think going straight on is any harder than coming at it from an angle. Either way you still have to move the same amount of snow.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Some, I go straight in and some I push to the side. I agree, there's going to be just as much weight on the plow either way; except for the couple that I push all the way back. All depends on if I want the snow piled by the end of the driveway, to the sides or toward the back.
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Break up the end first by any reasonable means, hit it at an angle and push onto the side lawn, or keep knocking off the top layer to spread the snow evenly then go right in, backdrag the top layer(s) and then push it to the side. If its a small driveway i will just hit the bank at an angle and keep going on a diagonal towards the side lawn.
  9. homey1

homey1 Member

I always go at it at a 45 degree angle from one side, then the other, pushing the city plow's snow to each side until I can get into the drive. Works really well with my 7.5' straight blade.
  10. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Thanks for all the great input everyone.