1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to beef up front end??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 04f350powerv-xt, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

Whats the best way to beef up my front end on my 2004 f350 6.0L diesel? After 1 year of clearing I have $2000 worth of repairs to do to the front end.:dizzy: Replace drag link ends and center wheel, replace both side ball joints, replace right side hub lock (not diengaging fully), and repair left front axle shaft assembly (loose in hub). I want to fix this once and once only but don't want to drop tonnes of money into it. What can you recomend? I run a heavy plow Boss power v-xt 9.2". I guess the weight of the plow along with the heavy wesportdiesel motor is to much for the ol-ford.:nono:
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

3. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

might have more luck getting answers if you post this in the ford section, timbrens are good, if you have a leaf sprung front end add a leafs can help, if its coil sprung, heavier duty coils will help
  4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Your 04' should be leaf springs or at least mine is. I was in the same boat as you. I added a leaf and things seam to be better. Have a suspension shop cut some leafs that span your whole leaf, Mine cost me $160 with new u-bolts, and took me about an hour to add.
  5. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

04s were split i believe, earlier 04's were leaf sprung, later 04s were coil sprung.
  6. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

When you have the balljoints done have the place install the Moog brand ones which you can grease. They last a lot longer than the factory ones will. I know a lot of Fords with hub problems and drag links. Once replaced they should last for a while. Plowing no matter what truck you drive shortens the life of every component.

So you run any weight in the back? Adding a little more weight could help some weight/stress off the front. Timbrens will help with spring sag, but spring sag isnt wearing out ball joints etc.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Its a cost of the game. Ford ball joints are a joke. Every year I have to work on front end issues. And the heavy plow doesnt help at all. I have a 9.2 and Love it in the open areas but when it comes to tight stuff as well as the yearly repairs I often question if its worth it.
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Man, now you guys have me wondering, I just got a 8-2 V and hope I don't run into the same problems :cry:
  9. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Moog for your suspension parts, they're pricey but as said above very much worth it. And also as said above either add a leaf or you could even go air bags in you have coil springs.

As for hubs, either ditch the factory ones or be ready to keep spending on them. If they're the junk factory vaccuum ones i wouldn't even waste the time. I got rid of them as soon as i got my new truck and put warns on. And while your in there, put new wheel joints on, good spicer ones, non greasable is actually better with u joints because they're stronger.
  10. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have plowed with my 06' F-350 for 3 years now with an 8'2" V & have had to do nothing toe the front end. I did orderthe truck with the plow prep so it would have the heavier springs. I don't know if it makes a difference but mine is a regular cab so I don't have the extra length & weight.
  11. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Do I dare? Aw hell....sell the ford and buy a Chevy! I've been running a 95 Chevy 3/4 with a 8 Ft. Western Pro since new with 2.5 tons with spreader on the back and not a lick of problems.
  12. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Do it right the first time!

I have a 6.0L F250 with a set of these bad boys ready to go in, to support the 1025lb snoway revolution. As for hubs throw a set of WARN hubs in and you should have no problems.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  13. 04f350powerv-xt

Thanks for the replies, what is everyone's opinion on timbrens? How well do they actually work? Do they actually strenthen the front end or do they just reduce sag?

Also does anyone have a truck with shift on the fly 4x4? That is what I have and I can only shift into 4x4 when the truck is travelling 8-88 km/h. Sometimes when I park the truck I forget to put it in 4x4 then when I come out I'm stuck and have to put it in 4x4 and spin till it "slams" in. Or when travelling from site to site and the roads are clear I drive in 2x4 then start plowing and forget to put it in 4x4 and then get stuck again. That being said I never had weight in the back of the truck and this year will have a slide in salter in the back. So I might be able to start moving without 4x4, but the storms here can get nasty with deep drifts that usually end up right behind my truck. I know the best thing would be to remember to put it in 4x4 before I need it but what can i do when I've had a brain fart.... any sugestions?
  14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I put Timbrens on my 2005 F250 Crew Cab 6' and all they seem to do is reduce sag, so your correct there.

My current 2007 F350 Crew 8' is a "shift on the fly" type just like yours, the 4 x 4 is vacuum controlled, if your stuck and your truck is in 2 wheel drive then you must manually "lock" your hubs, if you don't that is when it slams into 4 x 4. Reason is the vacuum system relies on the vehicle moving, all 4 tires to engage. The vacuum system is reliable, I have not had any issues on all 3 of my Superduties, knock on wood, but I have read of problems.

Question to Lynden-Jeff, I tried moving my hubs from Auto to Lock the other day and one of em' takes a pair of channel locks to turn, it seems kinda corroded on the outside, is this leading to a problem, or do I just need to excerise them more ??

Thank You
  15. 04f350powerv-xt

so what would be better, add a spring to the front or put timbrens on? Why?
  16. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Hey got my Moogs installed on my 2001 and the Firestone Air Bags are going on this weekend. I have a 8' 2" V that is going to be doing the damage this year. I have replace all the seals and boots on the front end and one Hub so fare and the other one is coming! I have the same idea that i am going to try and fix it once so that is why i went with Moog and the Firestone air bags!
  17. Plow Pilot 5442

Plow Pilot 5442 Junior Member

I've got Firestone ride rite air bags on my 95 F350 and will soon have them on my 96 F250 and haven't had any trouble with front end problems. As far as hubs for the 4X4 I leave the hubs engaged all the time. I don't have to stop to engage the 4 wheel drive and it doesn't hurt the hubs. Been doing it for 10 yrs.
  18. Chaos

Chaos Member

Eyesell, your hubs need servicing. If you are going to replace them, go with the warn hubs. However, next time GREASE YOUR HUBS. Everyone makes the same mistake,so you're not alone. You can easily grease them yourself by taking them apart and applying a liberal amount of grease to the mechanism. This will prevent further problems.

Heck, even Ford doesn't grease them.
  19. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Chaos, thanks for the info, think I'll take the truck in and get them replaced. Is there a way to take the Ford one's apart and grease those ??

Second question, does anyone know which WARN one's I should buy and do you think a Ford dealer would install those for me in place of the factory one's if I provided them.

Thanks again !!
  20. bigmike1289

bigmike1289 Junior Member

I would say get the premium hubs i got them on my 82 bronco and the engage every time and there easy to work on to and it doesnt take much to turn them