1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to apply

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by bdlawncare, Feb 14, 2013.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay, so I have been using FF for about a year now. IMO its a great product, really works to keep rust away and is a great penetrant.

I am looking to undercoat my plow truck and spray all my snow equipment... Snowblowers, Walk behind salters ect... What is the best way to go about this... Im assuming by using the FF spray gun... But will it hook up to a normal air compressor? And would a normal paint gun work for this application? Aerosol cans are to time consuming and too expensive.

Thanks!

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe on there website it has the psi of what you can spray at to get the best spray.

3. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

I just did my truck today. I bought the Fluid Film PRO Undercoating Gun from Kellsports and the undercoating kit. It worked awesome. I set my regulator at 90 psi and adjusted the nozzle to a fine mist. I used 1.5 quarts. It was very easy to adjust the perfect pattern not waisting the product. Gun didnt make a snotty mess either. Anybody wondering what to get this is what you want.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Hmm, guess I should have read a bit more before using. I was annoyed I had to go buy a female to female union on mine at least. I bought the gun from local dealer along with a gallon, and was surprised at how thick it was in the can, and how "uneven" it came out. Blotchy almost. I didn't realize the nozzle was adjustable...

5. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

I agree. I have used many stock undercoat guns from parts stores to apply Fluid Film over the years, and the Fluid Film PRO gun from Kellsport is the best. They say that the gun has been modified specifically to apply Fluid Film, and I believe it. I use about 25% less Fluid Film when I use this gun, and it lays down a perfect coating. I run it at about 85 psi, but I have a friend that uses the same gun and he says it's perfect at 70 psi. I guess it depends on the compressor system. The extension wand with the 360 degree nozzle is awesome for getting inside the frame rails and doors.

Fluid Film PRO undercoat gun

6. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

You have to really stir and mix the Fluid Film well to thin it out. The longer it sits, the thicker it gets. I've had some sit from the previous season that is so think I can turn the pail upside down and nothing comes out. It's like pudding. You gotta really shake it or mix it up and it goes back to a thinner liquid form and spray's without a problem. Fluid Film is very thixotropic.

thix·ot·ro·py The property exhibited by certain gels of becoming fluid when stirred or shaken and returning to the semisolid state upon standing.

7. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

spray gun ?

was wondering if anyone has used the newer standard gun over the pro gun... and how it sprayed?? really don't want to spend the 95 for pro gun...

8. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Waiting on my ff and upgrade to pro gun now. Should be here tomorrow. I got #2 kit and up grade pro gun for add.35.00. He told me the only differnce between regular gun and pro, is that the pro will accept the optional wands. I also purchased the 36" 360 degree wand for 10.00.

9. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

thank you...

10. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Spraying my truck and plow tomorrow.I`ll let you know how the gun works. Doing a couple trucks acctualy, also have a lift to put them on. That will make it alot easier and a better job in the end.

11. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thanks , let me know how it works.... I did it once in a buddys garage on a lift... Had to wash lift down and a customers car...... from the over spray...

12. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the pro gun also. Would love to hear any tips or tricks on the best way to apply or feedback from people who have used this product.

13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Has anyone tried an el cheapo primer gun?

14. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

The pro gun worked awesome, these guns are designed for FF. A regular spray gun will do the trick but the pick up tube is bigger in the FF gun along with some other differences, not sure what they are but they have designed this gun just for FF. Again the only difference between the pro gun and their regular gun is it will accept the flexible wands which I highly suggest you get.
    They say it takes about a gal of FF per truck. I did two trucks with a gal. Don`t know how I could have used more. I think I would have been wasting FF. The mess wasn`t to terrible, we put drop cloth in floor just in case and just wiped lift down with rags and was good to go. Under the truck looks brand new. We`ll see how it holds up.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We love the pro gun. Get the undercoating kit (FFUK2PRO) for starters. It has two gallons of FF, a Spray can, Pro gun, a couple spray cups, a brush and a inner panel spraycan extention attachment, access hole plugs and pour top. Well worth the money, and after that you can just buy gallons as needed.

The spray extension for inside of body panels and frames is awesome.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No way, the pro gun is adjustable and wastes less material the standard gun spreads much heavier and with-out the control the pro gun has. We trashed our standard gun when the pro guns came out.

17. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Thats just what Bill told me from FF web that I ordered the kit that you described. I never used the regular gun. The pro gun worked great. Maybe with the old gun is why they say about a gal. Per truck. I did two trucks with one gallon.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah the regular gun wastes a lot of material.

We find hanging disposable body drape plastic from the side of the vehicle to the floor it keeps the spray from getting everywhere. Wear a full face respirator with tear offs, cleaning FF of the face glass is a pain.

You use the spray extender? Do in the rockers and frame rails? Remove your rear lights and spray between the bed and exterior walls, drop the spare, use the extension to get above the things you can't get to with the gun, like the top of the drive train, above the muffler, etc. don't forget to do under the hood from the top and remove the access panel from the tailgate and do the interior. When I'm done you can smell the FF "curing" for two or three days.:mechanic:

19. Hard'ack Hound

Hard'ack Hound Junior Member

Well put basher. I recently did 4 vehicles outside on a paved driveway using ramps and jackstands, no drips. Seems to take a lot more FF on the first application, and I tend to use most of it probing frame rails, cavities, and hard to reach areas. I must be slow, it takes me hours to do a vehicle's first application. On rust, i found that compressed air works most efficiently to blow off the "chips", i had to do that on one older vehicle. Its amazing how the salt brine penetrates deep into rust. I was dumbfounded when i saw the white powder lurking under the "chips". Go with the pro gun and flexible tubes and you will not regret it. I also like the adjustability, you can get it to throttle down to almost zero output and it helps to fog areas like behind the rear mudflaps upwards into the box body.