1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best way keep sander warm

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nor'easter1, Dec 1, 2005.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Guys any good thoughts on how to keep sander running if not parked in the shop kept warm. Got caught last week with half load rock salt in my downeaster and froze over night useless the next morning. Shop is a few miles from my house and I like waking up ready to go. Hate having sander fail because the material turned to rock the few hours I was resting. I know I should know better after all these years bit some one always comes up with a great idea on this site. Thanks

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

old farmer's trick used to keep corn warm while sitting in grain carts before they could get put in silos.

Take a torpeto heater. And a large canvans (no plastic tarps they melt) Take the tarp up over the spreader, then back towards the ground in the rear. Making a cone shape to the rear. Try to make it go completely round at the end. Then place the torpeto header in the rear hole you created Facing it on an upwards on an angle. The tarp basically directs the heat so it goes up and then down on top of the salt and sand. Keeps it warm. :p

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

It mostlikely didn't freeze it probably caked up with the moisture it pulled out of the air. Do you have to run straight salt? We use a mix that is 80-90% salt and the balance sand so that way it doesn't cake up and gives alittle bit of traction too. The mess from the 15% +/- sand is minimal.

4. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Alot of customers around my area want 100% rock salt. Great pre treating but hell if you ahve left over material which is why I started the thread. Thanks

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Like I said try adding a touch of sand to it and it should solve you problem. You can sell it to the customer as a safety thing. Just that little bit of sand helps for the next time it gets icy because the surfaces will have a little bit of grit to them.

We only get freeze ups when it gets real cold, like in the single digits or lower.

6. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i use what i call a hot mix, sand/salt my truck stays out doors, i just tarp the sander, ive never really had a problem(now that ive said this i will !)