1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best walk behind salt/mag/ sand spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rockytop, Jan 14, 2011.

1. rockytop

rockytop Junior Member

Need to get a good/best walk behind spreader. Needs to be able to spread larger material mixes. What brand, price and where to get? Minimum 100# hopper.
  2. bayfish

bayfish Junior Member

Are you using it for larger areas?
    For sidewalks I use the small Scotts spreader from Lowes. I have larger Lesco fert spreaders but they don't work as well for Mag or calcium as the little Scotts.
  3. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

We use Snowex broadcast spreaders, two 50lb bags of rock salt is pretty much the max though. Knock on wood, they've worked very well.

Originally we tried Salt Dog spreaders and wound up returning them.

If you want really good spreaders, look into finding an epoke, they're quite expensive though.
  4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

We use SnowEx

I use SnowEx spreaders and they work well for us. Check one out and see. You can adjust the opening from small to a very large drop.
  5. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

We run the agrifabs and are trying a snow ex this year. Still trying to get used to the balance point on it.We are running bag and bulk salt in both of them but they need a bounce here and there to kee[ them flowing.
  6. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

agri-fab are good for the $60. Lescos are good we own 2 of them they retail 239 new. I find the 2 andersons we have the best BUT they are $600. Earthways are just like lescos in the middle. I am buying a saltdogg spreader by buyers. They are the best. You can find them cheapest ive seen online for 189. I am just going to purchase one for 230 at a local dealer because of no shipping and it is already put together.
  7. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

ACCUALLY GO TO one the the plow site sponsers: discountsnowstakes.com .... they are on the left colum on the site. The ice master brand is based off the buyers.
  8. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil Member

its funny you say that. i just returned my $70 scotts spreader to home depot. i salted a 1 acre lot 3 times then it broke, but i got my 70 bucks back. the one before that was a scotts 2000, the 50 dollar spreader. i got about 10+ salt events with that then it broke down as well. now i have to spread 250 lbs of salt out of a 5 gallon bucket for the rest of the year. :mad::mad::mad: im too poor to buy a tailgate salt spreader.
  9. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

I owned 8 scotts spreaders. They are all junk
  10. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

Has anyone used the Ice Master spreaders? not ready to spend $250 on a SnoEx, the ice masters seem to be the same thing, and for $180 (ice master pro 3000), thats a whole lot better. Any input would help before i go ahead and get one. Thanks
  11. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Just bought one, after the storm tonight I am buying a second because the fist one worked so good,
  12. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

ill take that as a "yes go out and get one" lol. the website says they are about 30 min away from me, so hopefully i can grab one tomorrow or after the snow hits.
  13. 94formy

94formy Junior Member

Have had all brands of cheap plastic wheeled spreaders from Menards, Lowes, etc, all are junk, can't handle the weight of salt. Have had 2 salt doggs for about 4 years now, one is totally wore out, and have had to replace parts on the other one. Bought a earthway last year and it has worked great so far although I can see it flexing with two bags of salt in it. Lesco makes the best one hands down. Have 2 50# spreaders and a 80# that is at least 7 years old. The axles and frames are the strongest (grease zerks on the axle housings) and parts are readily available from any lesco dealer. A little more expensive but worth every penny.
  14. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

what is the difference between the icemaster 2500 and icemaster 3000. the 2500 shows a regular price of $400 on sale for 195 and the 3000 is $180.
  15. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

Lesco had one for about 5 years no problems!
  16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

We use Spykers, Salt Doggs, and Buckets.
  17. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

Anyone spreading magic salt ( magicsalt ) ? I have tried different spreaders
    But nothing seems to flow well, I tried saltdog, reg. fert earthway and some other salt specific spreader
    I currently use earthway hi flow which does ok but I would love a better one with side deflectors
    Because I'm doing sidewalks with it.
    Or - has anyone tried a battery operated vibrator ( all jokes aside) - because shaking seems to work well.
    Any info would be appreciated.
  18. bruin250

bruin250 Member

I have a earthway 100lb spreader and a HD bucket,a scotts broadcast and scotts handheld spreader:bluebounc
  19. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

20. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

This might be late....I run magic salt in my vbox and In my walk behinds
    To run rock salt in a Meyer walk behind I change the pin ( the one inside the hopper that suppose to turn the salt) I drill out the hole for a hitch pin ( from menards for less than $2.00) zip tie the ends. Rock salt flows a lot better no more jerking the walk behind. This season I bought a spreader pro I noticed the pin is way to high. I drilled a 11/32 hole I inch off the hopper floor see how the one works due to 2 of my Meyer walk behinds got stolen