1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best VBox for 7mm Gravel.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TeeMan, Oct 8, 2011.

1. TeeMan

TeeMan Junior Member

Hi All new to the site / forum here. Nice to talk to other snow pushers. :drinkup:

We are looking for a dependable Vbox Gravel Spreader that can stand Winters in Canada. We had a gas Boss one before and it lasted about 3 years tell someone dropped it when loading. So my boss was not happy and was getting us to gravel by hand for the last 4 years. But now I'm the #2 guy and we are looking for a new Spreader. What I'm looking for in it is.

Colds temps. With stand temps. below -25'c and still work.
    Has backup lights.
    Has lids to keep snow out.
    Will not freeze up over night. With load.
    Easy to use from inside cab.
    Will last for more then one season.
    Doesn't cost to much. So maybe we may get some tailgate hitch spreaders for other trucks.

Oh yeah we will be using a F350 Super Duty 1 ton.

Thank you for any info.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. TeeMan

TeeMan Junior Member

I know it's only day 2 of me posting this. But we kind of need to know before the snow starts falling. But please if any one has any ideas of the better / best spreaders would be awesome. We have to manage over 150 properties. So the sooner we get one the better.

What do you use and do you like it?
  3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

well I'm just around the corner from you in cranbrook & I see a few commercial co. in town with hiniker & western. They have been on the same trucks & in use for the last 3 years I've seen, so they will hold up in your climate.
  4. TeeMan

TeeMan Junior Member

Sounds good. Thank you for your help. So I went to Utube and watched some Vids of them. Saw that the Spreader that we did of was the western spreader gas engine 8 foot. Was the one that we dropped.

But I'm liking the TORNADO spreader.

Whats better for over night storage. Polyethylene or 14 gauge SS?
    I know it's not smart to do it over night. But maybe for 6 or 8 hours in hopper.

Whats the better Conveyor & Spinner's to get with out freezing?
  5. TeeMan

TeeMan Junior Member

So no one out there use's V-Box's for Graveling?

My boss would like to have a some idea's on what one's are best to get. I told him about the Western Tornado and he's like. I know there is others out there.

PLEASE help. I don't wish to gravel by hand again.
  6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

LOL, you have to talk to the western guys about gravel, they are the only ones that I know that use it.

The rest of the world is on salt, moving to liquid/salt combos.

Even very little call for pickled sand (salt/sand) mixture nowadays.
  7. TeeMan

TeeMan Junior Member

Ok thank you. But it seems not many members are from the west. More less, my boss is just looking for something that will not brake down when we it it most.

So what are the best V box spreaders out there?
  8. TeeMan

TeeMan Junior Member

So we are about 3 weeks away tell I know there will be snow and we still have not found a Spreader that we can trust. We / I need help with any suggestions on whats a better spreader out there. All we really need to know is, that it will last more then a year.

What doesn't freeze up and what can take the job for 4 to 5 months?

Box. Plastic or Metal
    Conveyor. Auger or Belt
    Spinner. Plastic or Metal