1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best V-box Spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SamH, Oct 18, 2006.

1. SamH

SamH Junior Member

Hi, I'm a groundskeeper for a hospital in southern Idaho and the time has come for us to buy a new V-Box spreader. Our old Henderson Chief is nothing but a pile of corrosion now after about fifteen years of use. I'm considering going to an electric unit and we are debating between Poly and stainless. I like the idea of no noise and no fighting with a balky gas engine in the middle of the night but I do have one concern. I'm required to keep our salt truck full and ready at all times. It's covered but I still get some caking and clumping when it sits for a week or two. With the 12horse Briggs on our old Henderson this isn't a big deal. I can just slam it in and out of gear a few times untill the conveyor breaks free and then it seems to flow and scatter fine. Will the newer auger feed/electric systems on the Salt Dogg and SnowEx be better or worse in this situation? So far we are considering these options:
    Western Tornado
    SnowEx VeePro8000
    Salt Dogg PolyV
    Swenson PolyHawk
    Swenson PV or LPV Stainless
    I've also heard some good things about Smith spreaders, I just need to find a dealer. Most of the price quotes I'm getting are about $5,000 - give or take $500. The Salt Dogg was only about $3,000 through Angelo's but that's before shipping it 2,000 miles out here. I've read some of the horrible reviews on the SnowEX VeePros but I'm wondering if the company may have worked the bugs out by now.
    Anxiously Awaiting Your Sage Advice,
    SamH
    Twin Falls, Idaho

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

A poly one will never rust or get dented either (except the spinner chute if you back into something). The stuff inside is still mild steel. Conveyor/auger bearings but the shell will last.

Salt Dogg...SS chute...has seperate motors for spinner and auger...Gives good control...good price
    Tornado only has one drive motor but still looks like a good machine....good price
    SnowEX are expensive....I know that compaired to the other two.
    Swenson's don't know much about.

I would look locally to see what is available. If you need parts it will be faster if you can just pick them up.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

v-box spreaders

BDB

Have you considered a Sno-Way v-box? We offer top quality products in either painted or stainless steel. Low profile units with wider conveyors that most our competitors. We produce them with either electric, Briggs, or Honda power depending on your preference. Swing-Away removable chutes are also a nice feature. :nod:

1/2 cubic yard to 4 cubic yard capacities depending on what your needs are. You can learn more about them through our factory website at http://www.snoway.com . We would have a dealer as close as Idaho Falls that you can contact for further information. I would agree that buying one as close to local is the way to go. You can't beat having a dealer as close to you as possible to provide service after the sale. If I can provide you with additional information send me a PM.

Tom O'Brien
    District Sales Manager
    Sno-Way International Inc.

4. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Tom

They certainly are nice units but SamH is the one looking for a new spreader. The swing away chute looks cool. The problem for me the closest dealer (listed on your website) is an hour away north.:eek: I've run a snowplow before and it worked great. Not a real big name around here and a bit to far for me to travel for parts if I need them.

5. Novaguy65

Novaguy65 Junior Member

Snow-Ex

Go with a Snow-Ex 8500 V-Max. The best one out there. Check out the new liquid system they have as well.

Greg

6. SamH

SamH Junior Member

Do you recomend a gas engine or electric and how is that auger feed system at handling chunky salt? I leave it loaded full time.
    Thanks for the input.
    SamH

7. BDB

BDB Senior Member

They are good but a bit expensive. Where in MN are you?

8. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

I was just at Western's factory open house and saw the new Tornado. I run a Western Ice breaker right now and really like it. I am impressed with the new Tornado. It runs a conveyor in the hopper. The Snow-Ex poly hoppers run a small auger and don't work very well if you don't get the vibrator as well. The Tornado will run salt or salt/sand. It has a SS removable chute. The controller is similar to some of their tailgate mounted spreaders. The chute opening is adjustable to four or five positions. It weighs about 500 pounds so removal is easily done with two people. Just slide it out and stand it up on the built in feet. Also saves room for storage. No machine needed to remove it or put it in. Uses a plug similar to the Icebreaker. The hopper holds about 1.5 cubic yards. The new Snow -Ex hopper holds 2 yards, otherwise the smaller units are less than the Tornado. The Tornado can be bolted to the bed or you can use tie-downs to secure it. The Snow-Ex has a frame work that is bolted to the bed of the truck to secure it. I din't like that . Limits how you can use the bed at other times. Around here in WI the going price installed is $3000 to $3300. I am going to put one in my new truck. The Icebreaker I had installed last year in the new F550 dump was only $3600.
    Good Luck

9. SamH

SamH Junior Member

Thanks for the input. Easy loading and unloading is a big plus for us and the conveyor system sounds like it might handle our sometimes less than ideal salt a bit better than an auger. Now about the pricing on the Tornado. My quote from a dealer in Boise was
    $4.675, uninstalled, FOB. Apparently that's a heck of alot more than I should have to pay for that unit. I understand that shipping is going to be a factor out here in the west but let's get real! Angelo's quoted me less than $500.00 dollars to have a salt dogg delivered clear out here by common carrier. Can anyone put me in touch with a dealer that can be a little more fair about the price?
    Thanks
    SamH

10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

v-box spreaders

SamH

Have you considered a Sno-Way v-box? We offer top quality products in either painted or stainless steel. Low profile units with wider conveyors that most our competitors. We produce them with either electric, Briggs, or Honda power depending on your preference. Swing-Away removable chutes are also a nice feature.

1/2 cubic yard to 4 cubic yard capacities depending on what your needs are. You can learn more about them through our factory website at http://www.snoway.com . We would have a dealer as close as Idaho Falls that you can contact for further information. I would agree that buying one as close to local is the way to go. You can't beat having a dealer as close to you as possible to provide service after the sale. If I can provide you with additional information send me a PM.

Tom O'Brien
    District Sales Manager
    Sno-Way International Inc.

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Snow-Ex spreaders....gotta love the no rust, no corrosion, no dents construction.

12. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

SamH

Send me an email address and I will get you two dealers from here to talk to. Maybe than can hook you up. I am dealing with the second one now and the other I bought from last year. Both are good and do a lot of volume.

my email kdembny@sbcglobal.net
    business email dndlandscaping@sbcglobal.net

06 F550 Diesel with 9' Hederson dump body 9-6 Western MVP and Icebreaker
    06 F250 Diesel 8-6 Western MVP and Tornado
    99 F250 8-2 Boss Power-V and Snow-Ex Swing-way
    06 NH LS170
    00 Polaris Xpedition 425 with 60" v-plow