1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best V-box Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by northwest lawn, Mar 29, 2006.

1. northwest lawn

northwest lawn Junior Member
    from toledo

im looking to purchase a Vbox spreader for my f350 dump. i already looked into the tailgate models which require hydraullics, truck has an electric dump and not hydraullic and i really dont want to switch everything over. so i was wondering who made an excellent stainless Vbox. all comments welcomed

2. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Buyers makes a real nice SS Vbox just make sure you upgrade to the Briggs or the Honda engine, the Tucumsa SUCKS!!!! Airflos are basically the same as the Buyers they just cost about $300-400 more for no reason. Westerns are nice but WAY over priced. Sno-ways as well. The Hi-way Vboxes are awesome but new usually run around 5 g's. I currently run a Buyers that I picked up real cheap and new. Ive also ran Hi-way. I currently have an 8' Hi-way Super P Hi-Capacity for sale for $2250.00, to purchase it new runs about $5400.00 Other than that, I havent really heard anything on Fisher and Meyer/Diamond boxes. PM me if you need anymore info or interested in the Vbox.

Ken

3. TP Snow and ice

TP Snow and ice Junior Member

we run the monroe spreaders and we have never had a problem with them i just looked into a new one and it was $5000

4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have a sno-way electric and they are reasonably priced and spread great. Plus there is no gas engine to deal with.

5. battags

battags Member

Bump^^^^^^

I'm looking myself. Anyone?

thinking about the SnowEx 6000. I have a short bed chevy 2500HD

Brian

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The nice thing about the snowex is you can but a vee pro 8000 in a short bed truck. Add the sand kit if you are going to do anything except straight salt. It consists of a modified baffle and another vibrator, definitely required if your planning on doing sand.

In V boxes I think Ice-O-Way makes the Cadillac. 14 inch conveyor, one man removable chute, Tight seal at the hopper, engine cover seam keeps sand out of the engine box. Exhaust pipe extends outside the engine box, spread adjustments out the wazoo. Top quality bearing and adjusters. available in both 1.4 yd expandable and 1.9 yd expandable. MADE IN THE USA

Snoway does not have a coupler between the engine and main drive. the cost of repair if you have a load of frozen material, or pick up a obstruction that jams the conveyor is ridiculous.

Buyers claim to fame on all their products is lowest price. There is only one way to achieve that, lowest quality. down sized shafts, narrow conveyor, Tecumseh engines. Try getting warranty. Can you say outsourced to China?

If price is your only concern, AIRFLO, or buyers. For quality, and state of the art equipment, Ice-O-way.

The proceeding is the opinion of the author. It in no way reflex's the opinion of the owners of plowsite or buyers, airflow, snoway, ice-O-way or others. It's just my 2 cents worth, which is pretty worthless if you want to buy anything in todays world.:salute:

7. battags

battags Member

Thanhks for the input. How about the Swenson or Meyer LPV's or PV's?

8. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Meyer V-Box Spreaders

We are a relatively new Meyer dealer.
    I have a Meyer Stainless Model and a Meyer PolyHawk here in stock. Both come with your choice of Tec, BS, or Honda Motors. In addition to the Poly Hopper I like the feature that you can either fold the chute up and run out the material from the hopper without running it through the chute or one person can just pull the 2 pins that hold the chute on and take it off all by himself. The ability to fold up the chute and pin it in place makes for a lot easier storage because it will sit flat.

Just sold 2 to the Military. They spec the PolyHawk with the 11HP Honda. No exceptions.

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

How is the electric model on your truck battery? Im considering one but my plow already seems to draw a lot of amps.

10. battags

battags Member

Do they make a poly model for a 78" bed?

Brian

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

swenson (same as meyer) is by far the best out there in my opinion. we have been running a 8' pv swenson, i thought it was nice untill we got the swenson stanless 9' ev with pre wetting kit. if you want a EXCELLENT commercial spreader check into a ev series. they make all other models look like toys.

12. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Meyer 78" Polly Spreader

Not to my knowledge as of yet.
    Might not be a bad idea as a suggestion to Meyer Corp. though.
    Seems like they make everything in between.

13. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

anyone know how much the no-way electic 8' vbox goes for?

14. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I paid $2300 cash and carry for mine last year. You should be able to find one for about 3k

15. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

plowdude, i'm in central mass....where did you buy your vbox?

16. Budsoda

Budsoda Junior Member

I know that Henderson make a V-box spreaders from 5' to 10' long ..the 8' v-box runs about $2,900.00. with a 10 hp. B&S... for more info http://www.henderson-mfg.com/fsp.htm
    good luck :)

17. battags

battags Member

Here is my dilema. With a 6.5 foot bed, my options are limited with several models. I particularly like the Electric option as opposed to gas. This is due to noise factors, not to mention the pain in dealing with another engine, starting it in the cold, etc.

I like the weight of the SnowEx 6000. It comes in a size that's right, is poly, has a removable spinner assembly, and has a storage cradle option that supposedly allows one person to move the spreader in and out of the bed with relative ease. I'm not sure of the reliability of the SnowEx due to some of what I've heard on here. The price is fine and in my budget.

The Swenson/Meyer LPV seems like a sweet set up. The problem is that it doesn't come in Poly and the spinner assembly is fixed, making it harder for me to store and move in and out of the bed. The weight on the LPV is good. The PV comes in 7' legnths, but is way too heavy for me to move on my own without making some sort of rack or sling to move the thing. No poly on the PV either. I'm not sure on the prices of the Swenson's/Meyers either. I know that they will be more than the SnowEx's, but don't know by how much.

I need a 7' poly electric spreader capable of holding 1 to 1.5 yrds of material that is relable, well-built, and relatively easy to move. Does it exist?????

Brian

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can but a 1.5 yard snow-ex vee pro 8000 in a short bed pick-up.:redbounce

19. battags

battags Member

With the dimensions of that unit, it is too long for my bed.

Brian

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you seen one to put a tape too? I have installed them with the mounting kit in more then one 6.5 foot bed.