1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best used truck for DD and plowing??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 86 CJ, Aug 29, 2010.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I am back and forth with getting rid of my Jeep Plow setup and doing more commercial plowing this year(hopefully we will get it good in MD again) and getting a cheap old truck to just plow with or getting a nicer, newer truck that is good to drive as a DD as well.

I would be looking for a used truck, looking to spend around $25K

Looking for a Diesel(Better gas mileage) in a Dodge, Ford, Chevy, that will hold up well for plowing and be a good Daily Driver to run around?

I guess I would be looking around a 2003-2006 truck.

Any advice??
  2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Sierra 2500HD DMax.
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I use my truck for plowing and as my DD. Other than having to replace ball joints often, it's held up very well. I have two seasons on it and have not hesitated to take it halfway across the country twice this summer for vacations.

I know a few guys with Dodges that do the same and they seem to be running alright. The one thing that I keep hearing about from them is the shortened life of the front axle bearings.

I ran a separate plow truck for the first two years before I finally did the math. Figuring the additional insurance, maintenance, fuel (it was a 351 gas hog) and registration, I could put a lot of money into repairing my DD/plow truck if it ever needed it.

I only know one guy with a newer Chevy and he has had front end problems since it was new. I'm not sure if the Boss Vee is killing it or of he just got a lemon.