1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best use for V-Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KatWalk, Jan 28, 2003.

1. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Did search and found results on likes and dislikes of the V. Increased productivity, one plow verse another, etc. What is the actual best way to use the V??? I am a V-Plow virgin and need info. Thanks. Ryan

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I love the V and don't even own one!I 've done more welding on these for locals than any plow i can remember, The V certainly makes me more money!

3. Arc Burn

Sorry,that was dumb,i didn't even answer your question,no i don't own one,yes i have welded alot of them and the guys running them here use them to bust open driveways(we are all residential here)in deep snow with the V wings folded back you can break through and keep the truck straight as opposed to a straight angle blade pushing your ass end around,the locals love them when they are not broke,my wallet likes them broke though:D

4. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Arc Burn, how old are the V's?? I have had the same fisher MM for 5 years and changed the hydro fluid for the first time yesterday because it wouldn't move!!! Granted I don't do the mileage and volume that some do but you gotta slam stuff to break it don' t you??

5. Arc Burn

The most recent is just a year old,i also have a 6 year old MM,i just change the oil every year and it's fine,some of the 9.5's have had trouble,not all but there were issues with bent pins which lead to bent moldboards which led to broken welds(enter me!)There are a couple 8.5's around here and the guys beat the hell out them with no probs.,no one looked at things like pins and what not cause these were new plows,guess you gotta check after every use no matter how new.

6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Better to hold on to the cart in the Grocery Hockey Olympics!

Also great in commercial lots cleaning up trails too.

7. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

For me, the V blade is helpful in several applications. I use it frequently like a straight blade to move snow across an open lot. When snow has built up behind the windrow I'll use the scoop position to either run perpendicular to the windrow or parallel behind it moving snow to the edge of the lot. The scoop position allows you to move snow more readily to a where you want it, as opposed to a straight blade which bleeds snow to either or both edges depending on the angle and quantity of snow. The scoop position is ideal for cleaning up windrows and plowing aisleways during day time storms. A v blade stacks snow twice as high as a straight blade, allowing you to put more snow into a smaller space. Lastly, when tucking corners around curbs and edges, a v blade lets you come into obstacles at different angles and tuck much more easily than having to use multiple aproaches with a straight blade to get the same finished result. The ability to manipulate each wing independently gives you much greater freedom and opportunties when handling snow. The biggest mistake I see with the v blade is when someone uses the v blade in the scoop the position to move snow rather than straight blading and then going scooping when necessary. It takes too long to plow a lot in scoop position.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Hmmmm..........never thought of that one.I would still beat you with my straight blade though.........We Canucks rule at shopping cart hockey !:D

9. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

One thing i really like about my power-V is when i am plowing a high traffic area (shopping center, fast food place) I can contain the snow so its not pushed into parked cars and at the same time the snow's not pushed into the traffic lane because its collecting in scooped plow.
    -Nick