1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best under coating options

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dieselboy01, Jun 26, 2016.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I just got a rust free replacement bed for my truck and before I install it I want to "rust proof" the bottom. What would you guys recommend for this? A good paint? Herculiner? A rubberized under coating?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

When I purchased my truck the dealer did it, through a company called vesco oil, there's a Similair company called ziebart, as long as you have it inspected annually I believe they'll replace the part if it rusts.
    Or you can buy the Herculiner at auto zone

3. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

Did mine with Rustoleum bedliner spray, just under $8 per can at Menards.

4. dieselboy01

How is this holding up so far?

5. dieselboy01

I'm going to use gloss black tractor paint on the frame, I was thinking of spraying the bottom of the new box with it too, unless a under coat or bed liner would be better?

6. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

Bought the truck September 2015, sprayed it almost immediately when I bought it. Seems to be holding up very nicely.

7. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

I did the framework as well as the underbody. It's a nice black finish.

8. dieselboy01

I just finished the truck frame it it looks great!

The new box is still about 70% covered in the original under coating. I'm not sure what to do about that. It doesn't come off real easy.

9. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Omg POR 15 it! Never rust. Period. Follow instructions for new metal however