1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best type of truck to plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dirtrd, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtrd

dirtrd Junior Member
    from NH

I'm new to plowing this year, have run a small landscape biz for about 10 yrs now, finally deciding to plow this winter, I have a few driveways to start a couple 200-300ft gravel drives and hope to add more residential accts before snowfall.. I'm debating on getting a plow for my 06 F350 srw diesel which has never plowed, or getting a heavier duty 350 or 3500 dually with a flatbed. I've had this endless debate on having one do-all hd pickup truck or going to the dually which would also be better for towing equip. stone. etc.. I'm always overloaded with the current F350, its a nice truck but need a more dedicated work truck with a higher gvw and payload capacity, and have a smaller 1/2ton truck for daily driver. Anyway would flatbed be ok for traction with out sander? Have to put some kind of weight back there.. I have a dump trailer so payload not as big a deal as gvw and plowing. It'd be a shame to beat up my current F350 if I'm just going to sell it for something hduty in the near future. Thanks for any tips gotta decide soon snow on its way!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss v plow on the F350. Don't believe anything those Fisher guys say!

3. dirtrd

dirtrd Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks - what would you say is the main difference between boss and fisher? Those are the two brands I've been looking at anyway. Keep the F350? Not gonna kill the resale value?

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a 4x4 stake dump would fit your needs well. If all I was doing were driveways, I would get a Jeep.

5. dirtrd

dirtrd Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks, I'm looking at a gmc 3500 flatbed 010? duramax, just gotta figure out the weight in the back without a sander.

6. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with the current truck to keep cost down. It will not effect the resale of the truck. My preference would be a Boss over the Fisher but you need to figure out which dealer can better service you.

7. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Where in nh are you? Im from Nh too, we have a lot more fisher dealers around the Manchester area then any other brand, and alot of people can work on fishers. I personaly have a 7.5 fisher and do 90% residentials with my 1500, your f350 will hold the plow great.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have fisher and boss

get a fisher

Trip edge instead of full blade trip and and in the V plow, fisher has NO RETURN SPRING for the wings like Boss THAT KEEP BRAKING IN THE SAME PLACE. can you say BAD DESIGN or MANUFACTURING and BOSS dont give a **** to fix it why should they they sell more springs that way. I replace 2 a year. I have NEVER had to replace any fisher spring

Boss uses 6 hoses on there Vplow 3 different fittings KIS ... my ass
    Fisher V plow 5 hoses, you can carry 1 hose for a spare. Gota carry 3 hoses for the Boss

Truck side mount Boss has this BIG ASS chunk of steel hanging down, out weighs the fisher by 80 Lb

then there is the hooking up the plow Boss takes me 3 or 4 times longer to hook up as the fisher.

Plus if you EVER get the plow stuck on the wrong side of a stump or stone wall in the raised position you can NOT take the plow off the truck. you will have to UNBOLT the plow plow frame from the truck or rip the plow over whatever it is hung on.

Then the controller if you dont get the touch pad it A HUGE BOX with a BIG stick. I mount the fisher controller on the gear shift, May hand is already there

Not going to say boss suck but there design and usability has much to be desired

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

:laughing: Who get's their plow stuck on the other side of a stump or stone wall in the up position??

I like my old Boss, I've broken 1 set of return springs in 14 years.

I would not hesitate to try a Fisher Trip Edge V though.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

See ,don't believe these Fisher guys.

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

F350 dually are made to work I would go with western 9.6 Vplow
    I have both boss V and Western V I rather run the western Reason is I have more controll of the western then the boss
    I ran the boss for 8 yrs and western 4 yrs Western is a better plow hands down

12. dirtrd

dirtrd Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the tips guys! Leaning toward fisher.. got a dealer nearby, and I keep hearing about the trip edge being better for gravel drives. Cashin in I'm in Cheshire county outside of Keene, hilly area. Yea I'm sure my F350 will be fine but I'm just thinking about next season towing stone and equip... Itd be nice to just have a dedicated work truck and then a daily driver smaller truck.

13. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

ditto's w/6.0 liter

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

F350 & a Fisher SS 8'6" vee. Done deal. Don't believe what these boss guys say....LOL

15. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Another vote for fisher. Trip edge definately beats out full trip for gravel. Don't believe those boss guys. Lol

But in all reality, choose the brand with the best and closest dealer. I know around here, some of the better dealers have service techs at the shop 24 hours during snow events

16. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on the Jeep for just driveways.

17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

whatever you choose make a gravel guard for them...will save a lot of aggravation

18. junker1

junker1 Junior Member
    from maine

whats a gravel gaurd??

19. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/showroom/xls

watch the videos, small square links.

course this is mainly used for lots. both scoop and v plow designs are useless for drives, but get some lots and a scoop plow will blow any v blade ever.

frankly i like my custom build even better than the DD extendable wings

20. getherdone1987

getherdone1987 Junior Member

get a 6sp manual dodge 3500 with a fisher plow you will love it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.