1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best type of tire "Chains" to get?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurboPlow, Mar 17, 2007.

1. TurboPlow

TurboPlow Junior Member

I will be using them once in a while for snow plowing on my '94 TDC. It has the TR2 boss V plow..some steep hills will be involved, and was wondering form some of you Pro's out there, what kind of advice would you have. I do have the BF goodrich snow tread tires 16".any web sites with discount prices?...this is a Great web site and thanks in advance..

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Well the best chains for traction are v-bar chains. Very agressive and good traction. But they can tear stuff up if you are not careful, and they don't ride very well. Now, chains in general don't ride well, but if you are driving around all day with chains on you may want to consider something a little less agressive. I have v-bars, and they are rough on a paved slushy road. I think regular chains would be fine on a paved surface. If you are doing dirt, gravel then you might want the v-bars.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Chains

I do the steepest drives in my town, as well as flat surfaces. I use jeeps, so I chain up the front first, then if really bad, I chain the rears as well.

I prefer a v-bar reinforced chains. They wear better, and bite better. If you want them to last, don't spin the wheels on them when you take off. Don't drive over 30 MPH with them on, and I take them off at the first opportunity when I don't need them to complete the route.

Buy yourself some spare links, keep them, a pair of chain pliers, a drum brake brake spoon, a straight blade screw driver, and a large pair of vise grips touse when you have to repair them as necessary.

regards,

tom

5. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

6. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I do steep driveways. Usually, I don't need chains, but if it's a friggin' blizzard and I do, I prefer cable. I've tried both. Real steel link chains vibrate like hell, and if you're driving over plowed pavement, you'd better check your lug nuts frequently. But with cable, my tires simply will not slip. I can't even force them to slip. If I'm pushing up hill and something has to give, it will be my engine, not my tires slipping. That's my experience.