1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best two way radio?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by haybaler, Nov 27, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler Member

Ok, I have cell phones, but one of my routes in the next town over has VERY limited cell service. I want to put radios in at least two of my trucks so I can communicate while plowing. is there a radio that can go 10 miles with hills?

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you will probably have to get on a repeater. ive heard prices of $25/radio/month and also $30/monthfor up to a certian amount of radios.

3. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

I'm on the fire dept here in Maine we run the VHF range. My buddies and I are licensed to a simplex (direct) frequency and we can talk, the way the crow flies, I would say around 15 miles. This is on 40+ watt mobile radios. This depends on terrain. If were in between mountains reception is poor til we get to the top of the hill. Were your in Mass I would think you could get a channel on a tower that has a repeater. The repeater would help you talk back and forth better. There would be a monthly fee on this. Not sure if you are looking to pay monthly or not. I know in Maine the two way radio shops like the Motorola ones rent space/ channels to private companies up here. Legally you have to get a license for a frequency, to run radios, through the FCC which can take a couple months, depends how close to Canada you are. I guess it might be worth buying a couple of radios and a month contract with a radio shop to use their frequencies for 3 or 4 months. I almost forgot, marine radios have good range, but are bad news. Their cracking down on people with them. So the only other radio I can think of are CB's. Which unless you run an amp good luck talking 2 miles. Go with Motorola or Kenwood if you have a choice, they make great radios.

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

UHF is what u want.

Your looking at Around $30.00 month for a repeter

Well worth the money

5. haybaler

haybaler Member

how do I buy a repeter? why is uhf better the vhf? the motorola's I was looking at were like 300 each

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Repeter, u will want to call a radio company. You will have 5-6 Grand in a repeter and towle Pluse u will need a FCC

your be better off to rent repeter space.

7. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

You will want to find a local radio shop. If your not sure how to find one call your local fire or police dept. Thats the best thing to do. I would wait and see if the radio shop will give you some sort of deal on the radios and rent for a channel. I use to work at a radio shop and the owner did this.

8. haybaler

haybaler Member

Thank you, that's what I meant was rent not buy.