1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best tuner for my 06 duramax?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buckwheat_la, Mar 16, 2011.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Anyone use a tuner for their diesels? Which one do you guys recommend?
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Just go to dieselplace.com and start reading.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

EFI Live is the best. But the best plug and play is probably an Edge that's what I have on the Dmax's and on the Dodge. But like mycirus said dieselplace has a ton of info kinda like asking what plow should I buy on here;)
  4. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

EFI Live or the banks six gun is the best tuner for a duramax
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Another vote for EFI live, without a doubt the best thing out there, get on diesel place and find a tuner who knows his stuff. But if you want plug and play I would recommend a PPE before the Edge or Banks, Banks would be close to the bottom of my list.
  6. ST.Louis Paintr

ST.Louis Paintr Junior Member

my best buest freind has a evo from edege this truck his wicked 3 inch exhaust and cold intake and i was getting 22 mpg a gallon today. 07 silerado clssic
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Efi live and then a PPE tuner all day long!
  8. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

I know EFI is the best, but I've got an Edge plug and play, and it's been good. Only complaint is the EGT probe has gone wonky once and had to be replaced.
  9. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

i run an edge evo CTS race and a 5" straight pipe and i love it. i know EFI live is the best but i feel like i got a good tuner in my edge.
  10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Your question should be which is the best tuner for either mileage or performance and at what cost?DP is where you want to ask.
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd have to say Efi Live first and then PPE.
  12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I've been tempted to get EFI, but I don't know enough about it to pull the trigger. The DSP5 switch is a nice option too. I am waiting for the warranty to be up before I start with all the tuning. I would say Banks makes nice products that are safe for stock transmissions, but seem over priced.
  13. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I had an edge in my old duramax and really liked it. Whatever you end up deciding on i would reccommend either having something with an egt probe or having an egt gauge installed. What i like about the edge is that it would monitor the egt and trans slip for me and defuel if it saw a problem. Just nice to have the peace of mind. Im not saying it was fool proof by any means. You can tear these trucks up in a hurry if you run it hard with any tuner. Have fun!
  14. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

i just got an 06 this winter. put efi live in with a dsp5 switch. hands down id pick efi first. after that id go with ppe. buddy of mine had that for a while. tons of power with both but a little better mileage with the efi live if you get a good tune.
  15. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

When the time comes for my '06 I am going with efi live with a dsp5 switch.
  16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have the Banks Six Gun w/ Speedloader Power PDA. I like it, enough juice for me but safe still. Mine's on an '05 LLY
  17. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

the only thing i dont like is the learning curve that the tranny has to go through. kind of nerve racking at first when it shifts weird. smoothes out after a few days of driving. having a turbo break feature is a huge plus IMO
  18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you have a way to reset the trans it learns fast. We did the same when I put my shift kit in. Instead of a few days its reduced down to going for a drive with varying throttle positions.