1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best truck to work with?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hav0k, Nov 24, 2011.

1. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

What's the best truck to work with interms of Plowing, Pulling a trailer full of lawn equipment, and gas useage?

Main ones I'm thinking of are Ford, Chevvy, and Dodge.

Not really looking to put a HUGE plow on the truck. Just something thats 7-8 feet. I was thinking about getting a F150 but now I'm looking into other trucks.

I'm in the toronto area so if you know any place to get a good used truck, please direct me. PS: I'm not plowing this year, just shoveling and salting.
  2. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Nope you cant get a F150 NEW that is, unless you plan on using a Small plow like sno way...
    (New f150's can only be Fabbed to plow due to the steering electronics and such.)

Best truck for you would prob be a F250, Or 2500HD
  3. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

I'm not looking for a brand new truck. I'm just talking about over all trucks. And as I said before, I don't want anything big and will kill my wallet on gas. I'm just starting my business, If need be, I will upgrade later when I get the money.
  4. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I went from a chevy 1500 gas to a ford f250 diesel last January. Best switch I made! Spend just a bit more for a diesel and you'll be paid back in no time. I've saved about $1500 in fuel alone this year so far, well worth the extra expense when I purchased the truck. Oh, and it's a 99 so you don't need a brand new truck. Figure out what you can afford and then see what's on the market. I found mine on Kijiji.
  5. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i dont know about otheres but i kno from me it does not matter weather it a 150 or 550 when plowing they all get around 8-10 mpg at best and towing doing lawns stopin g and going while towing net about the same so if the truck is work only go with the 250 mpg will be the same and you have a stronger "Work truck'" for the long run
  6. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

If you want to be towing plowing and hauling you need a 3/4 ton truck for sure. F-250 all the way.
  7. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Super Duty's are getting into the age bracket where a really good truck can be had for the 10K range. Prior to that, for a bit cheaper you could try and track down some of the few remaining Chevy K's that are out there in good shape. The pushrod motors, and pretty much everything on them, is super easy to fix yourself which will save you big money. I've never been a big dodge follower at all, so you'll need to ask around about them.
  8. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

I'm not talking about at the same time. Towing for a trailer in the spring/summer, plowing in the winter
  9. ConnerM

ConnerM Member

is a f-150 ok for mainly driveways? can it handle small commercail lots say a mcdonalds parking lot
  10. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Look at the Dodge Cummins 5.9liter 2006 and older. Cummins have their engines down, it is much quieter than then the fords in this era, the power is amazing. You will be able to tow anything and still get great mileage... Do a little research on diesel engines and Cummins are proven time and time again to be the most reliable. The Ford Powerstroke 7.3 liter is a good engine as well they stopped putting them in their trucks in 2004 and the 6.0 wasn't very reliable for a few years so look for 2003 or earlier. The Chevy Duramax trucks are good for getting groceries HAH!
  11. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

94-07 5.9L Dodge Cummins.
  12. Mcdunn

Mcdunn Junior Member

^^ I agree with IC-Smoke. this is my second cummins and it is awesome
  13. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

No, half tons are ok for your own driveway and no one elses...once you start actually having to use it, it will fall apart on you. They just aren't designed to handle that much weight, try to get a strait axle three quarter ton or larger.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  14. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

Ok well, My cap for a truck is 15k.
  15. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I think a gas 3/4 ton will be sufficient for what your trying to accomplish...and will get you a better lower mileage rig in you 15 grand price range...ask yourself what you want to be doing in 5 years..If you want to be towing 16,000 lbs around everyday,landscaping, etc.... might want to look at a diesel..
  16. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

You are going to get so many different answers and opinions that your head will start to spin. Each brand of truck has their own little following with their own opinion of why a particular truck is good or bad. IMHO, each one has it's own little +'s and -'s. The best truck for you is the one that you can buy at the right price with the right specs. that will do what you want it to!.

Unless you have a crystal ball, there is no way of knowing how well any 3/4 or full ton truck will perform unless the damage is obvious like it needs a new clutch or something similar. Heck, you can have 2 people buy the exact same truck brand new off the lot and one will have nothing but issues and the other will drive it till the wheels fall off.

Take your time, go over every one you are considering, drive them, test them and good luck with whatever you buy!
  17. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

I dont know why everyone says a 1/2 ton cannot do anything but small jobs? I have plowed with 2 F-150's for about 18 years and never had a problem. I do many driveways and 2- 5 acre storage lots and then sub myself out to my freind when my work is done. I do run with a 500 lb bladder in the bed which really helps. Yes a 3/4 ton may haul better and have more pushing power but dont shy away from a 1/2 ton because you think it cant handle your needs.

2011 Snow 1_26_11 004 (Medium).jpg

2011 Snow 1_26_11 005 (Medium).jpg
  18. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I agree with that...people plow with atv's, utv's, toyota's, jeeps, etc.... you get a plow that fits your vehicle and plow what your vehicle can handle..
  19. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Do it once, dont waste $. There is a difference in trucks for sure right out of the gate. If you are going to grow your business, go into it yes with what you can afford but also what suits the needs. Just because a 1/2 ton can plow and can pull a trailer does not mean it should. You identified two things that are hard on a truck and you are looking at a light duty truck to do so??? You need a 3/4 ton minimum, ideally a 1 ton. Trailering all spring, summer and then fall on a 1/2 ton is going to be hard on it for sure. Why wear the truck out?

Lots of guys around here plow with 1/2 tons and you see them struggle all the time with the snow. The guys who plow with 1 tons seem to do far better. The ones that really do well are the guys who run diesel. If you want to plow, it has all the power you need. If you want to haul, it again has all the power you need instead of the ol 1/2 ton, pedal to the floor to maintain 40 mph on a hill with a loaded trailer listening to the sucking sound of your gas tank running dry.

We just bought another 1 ton, a 02 F350 diesel reg cab 4x4 for $7500.00, add the Blizzard powerplow to it that was $5000 and we have a unstoppable truck for summer and winter that is going to be able to handle whatever (within reason) that we want to throw at it. Keep looking for a truck and personally, we run our half ton for the sidewalk crew and it never trailers.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Get a Dodge 250/2500 with a Cummins and plan on building a tranny and leaving it alone for a while.

Or a F-250/350 Super Duty 98-03 Diesel 7.3 or a Gas V10.