1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best truck to start small snowplowing Business?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johnson9, Nov 29, 2001.

1. johnson9

johnson9 Junior Member

We own a small apartment building with a small parking lot. We are interested in buying a used truck to plow the parking lot and possibly add some other parking lots of stores or other businesses in the area. We want a truck that could be used the rest of the year as a personal vehicle. That is we want something not too big so that the gas mileage isn't too bad but we want something big enough to do a good job. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Myself and others have had success with Toyotas. I know Alan on this site runs S-10 set up the same way. If you definately want a pickup, which I would suggest so you can add a small salt spreader amd haul stuff in the off season these are good bets. You could also look into buying an old Jeep. They are excellent small plow machines.

3. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I use a 4cylinder jeep with a 5 speed and I'm actually looking forward to plowing. A six with auto is a perfect machine for small lots but like CT18fireman said a Toyota is a dream machine. The New ones are very expensive and the used ones are hard to find.

Marty:)

4. It is probably a good idea to buy a truck (whatever brand and size you decide on) that has not been used for plowing in the past. Plowing adds much wear to a truck. This factor can vary greatly according to how much it was used, and by whom, but it is a more than likely a good idea when buying used to add on your own plow.

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

If you end up with a Jeep or other non-pickup type, you could still use a small salt spreader by fabricating a mount that fits into a frame mounted hitch. Just be sure that the weight of the spreader and salt doesn't exceed the tongue weight of the hitch. There may even be a company out there that makes a spreader that mounts this way. If not, I am heading to the patent office.....:)