1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best truck to put a plow on?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cog-1, Nov 26, 2007.

1. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

OK, don't want to start a feud here but what is everyone's opinion on the best truck to put a snow plow on- which front end/frame holds up the best mainly is what I am wondering. Looks like most manufacturers are going with independent front suspension, (3/4 ton and less anyway) would rather have a solid axle set up for a plow I think, what does everyone else think?
    Thanks

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I see alot of GM 2500HD reg cab 6.0 with plows and nobody seems to have that big of problems...

3. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

The best truck to put a plow on is ....someone elses truck. Youd have to be crazy to put a plow on a perfectly good truck you owned. :rolleyes:

lol

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Any properly equipped 2500/3500.
    A truck with a solid front axle will be a better platform than a truck with ifs.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Listen to SnoFarmer....he has wisdom well beyond his years....;)

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most guys think the truck they have is the best! Any 3/4 or 1 ton with a snow prep package will be a good truck.

7. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

I guess I am just concerned about buying a new truck with independent front suspension then having it bottomed out/having no suspension with the plow on the main thing. Then if you put aftermarket parts on to compensate for weight of the plow, when you take it off in the summer it drives like a lumber wagon...

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There's the answer. The only two are Fords and Dodge.

9. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

I didn't think any of the 08's (3/4 ton) came with a solid front axle, maybe I'm wrong though...hope so, always thought solid axle the way to go.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I put in a set of timbrens on my Dodges. When the plow is off there is an inch or two between them and the axle. You will not even know there when the plow is off.
    I'm using a BossV and there a heavy plow. You can get away with out them but there nice to have.

You are right about the ifs, you ether need to crank up the t-bars and they ride on the timbrens all of the time.

08 3/4 4x4 Dodge with ifs?? If it's true, you'll find me crying:cry:in my beer!

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

A heavy duty truck 30k GVWR and over.

12. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Dodge doesn't have a solid front axle. Even on their 4500 and 5500 chassis cab its a beam deal with IFS.

I dont think any truck has a solid front anymore short of something above 25,000 gvwr

Edit....welp, a couple other guys said basically the same thing.

13. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Here. :drinkup:

It's a double wishbone IFS with a coil-over shock deal.

14. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

How could Dodge do away with the tried and trusted D60?:dizzy:

15. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

Only problem is we use it mostly for plowing sidewalks...xysport

16. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Ford and Dodge both have solid front axles under the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. GM still has the IFS. On my 2500HD I run Timbrens and have the TBars adjusted. That is for the larger tires though. The ride is just a touch stiffer then factory with the Timbrens but I actually like the ride with them on the more I drive the truck. Its no where near a lumber wagon.

17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

2000 Ford f 550 PSD...... very heavy front solid axle, very small in overall in size,has 2 alternators, uses very little fuel plowing.

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I just went to Dodge.com and took a look around.
    Their new site is a little confusing.
    I think the IFS is for the 2x4?
    The pic of the ifs on there site has only 5 lugs which leads me to believe it is for the 1500 2x4 or the 4x4?

They list the live axle for the front and rear on the 2500.
    This leads me to believe it is still a solid axle up front.
    Here is a pic of a 08 2500, it looks like the D60 to me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  19. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

snofarmer-thanks for the info; will try dodge site too, maybe I was confused looking at all the different models, etc., who knows...

20. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Personally, I definitely agree with the solid front axle being better, and esPECially the 3/4 to 1 ton is preferable, but what is more important than this, is the need for a frame under it. The HD's are a much better candidate for this, and trucks like the older Chevies (pre 1988) are much better. These newer trucks (like my '89) do'nt have nearly the frame strength as these older trucks...especially for running a V-blade. These new frames fold like accordions.