1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best truck to plow with?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike33087, Mar 13, 2005.

1. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

Based on your expirences not your personal prefrence what is the best truck to plow with?
  2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I prefer the GMC 3500 dually dump, 4x4. Seems effortless to push snow. Also hold a vee box easily.
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Which ever one you use is the best truck cause you can only drive one truck
  4. wddodge

wddodge Member

The absolutly best plow truck is one that is paid for....

The next best truck really depends on what you want it to do. A short wheelbase, quick turning truck is better for driveways and small lots. The longer wheelbase, heavier trucks are better for mall parking lots.
  5. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

i like my 1998 gmc 2500 th best, it sits low to the ground and has plenty of power, i dont get to use it much bc one of my workers parks it at his house. i use a 2002 2500hd crew cab, its way too long, and seems to lack the traction of the 98
  6. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I guess the best is the one that performs and is comfortable ('cause you'll spend a bunch of time in it). A 3/4 or 1 ton 4X4 with automatic, heated mirrors, rear window defroster, power seats and windows (gotta change position and change the air). I like a limited slip, others don't. I also like the joy stick control as opposed to the pad or hand held. Also a 8' straight is plenty of blade imo.
    I'm on my third Dodge, all with the Cummins. Nice big cab with plenty of storage amd all of the stuff I listed above. Oh, to get the 610 foot pound's of torque to the ground, 4 Blizzaks.
    I've tried other makes over the past 35 years some were good, some were horrible. The Dodge Cummins combination have been flawless other than minor stuff.YMMV. Whatever you buy tire's are the most important thing you will put on the truck, research carefully. Remember you have to take care of your equipment or it will bite you in the ass, probably at 0300 when your ass deep in snow and it is -10.

7. wddodge

wddodge Member

What?? No heated seats in that beast??? :waving: Sorry friend, I just had to to it...
  8. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Right, couldn't help yourself. <G>
    Real men don't need no heated seats.
  9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Unimog. Is the best truck. You can get plows, blowers, loaders and spreaders for it. Nothing in the world is better than an unimog in the snow. Low gearing and a lot of weight and POWER!!!! :nod:
  10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

It may not be the best truck but it's my best this year to plow with. It's a 90 blazer(K5) with a fisher. Truck looks good and not all rotted out, paid 1500 and has started all winter with no probs. Thats why i think it's the best. :bluebounc