1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best truck mounted plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by sbrinks, Jan 26, 2008.

1. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Can anyone tell me what might be the best and least expensive equipment I might need for the following: I'm moving to the mountains down a long 4 mile dirt road and the city doesn't plow it. Could get as high as 3-4 feet if unattended. I own a 99 Dodge 2500 4x4. Should I be looking at plows, truck mounted blowers, atv mounted blowers or something else????? Thanks for the help.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

u should look at moving some place eles or a good sled or u could get a plow but ur gonna have to keep up with it

3. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Would a plow run one a day after a storm be sufficient + -

4. KGRlandscapeing

well it depends what kinda cars or things ur gonna be going up and down the road in if its a car anything more then a couple inchs will stop most sub compact cars

5. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Just me in the dodge 2500 4wd and what ever we get my wife, but it will be a vwd truck or jeep.

6. KGRlandscapeing

ya then once or twice a day alot of guys will beat me up for telling u to get a snowbear plow whole thing cost only about 1000 no power angle but it will push some snow

7. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Awesome! Thank you. I will google it right now.

8. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Is snowbear a v-plow???

9. KGRlandscapeing

no i hate v's id never use one this is a straight blade with manual angle id just leave it angled to the right if i was u that will throw it off the road going either way.

10. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Ok. Thanks.

11. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

if it were me, i would just buy an old dodge or chevy plow truck, look to spend like 1-2k, and call it a day, plow your little heart out.

12. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Do you know where I would look to find something like that?

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

For an older plow truck. Just about anywhere.
    Local classified, autotrader type magazines, online, word of mouth from people you know, just driving around you may find one, etc.

14. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i think a v would work to his advantage with that long of a drive. especially if he gets a good amount of snow unlike ohio. where exactly are you moving to and what do they usually get for snow? you might want to look in the classifieds and try to find a used boss v plow or even a straight blade. something a little stronger than a snowbear. but if you dont get that much snow and dont really have any big storms then the snowbear wouldnt be bad, but i sure wouldnt want to push much with it. just my opinion.

15. KGRlandscapeing

i wouldnt say ohio dosent get snow in the snow belt northeast right around the lake we see every bit of about 110inchs every year id say thats a half decent amount of snow

16. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

If I were you try typing Hagglunds into google , you could even put a plow on one :eek:

17. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I totally agree...You buy a snowbear and it will last you about one storm with the kind of plowing you'll be doing. You want something heavy duty for what your talking about.

18. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

#1) You'll be plowing a 4 mile dirt road which can be pretty rough on the equipment, especially if it's rutted and/or rocky. Even for small amounts of snow I don't think that a Snowbear would stand up to that for too long (I'm not looking to start a war here, just stating my opinions). You will be pushing the plow with a pretty stout truck which could easily twist up the smaller framework of a light duty plow. For your purposes, I would definately use a strong commercial duty plow and make sure that you have a dealer with a good service dept within a reasonable distance.
    #2) You have to potentially push quite a bit of snow and unless you will be out there keeping up with the storm, a V plow would be very benificial to you. The whole design of a V plow is for the purpose of cutting a first trail through deep snow utilizing the least amount of effort (which equates to less wear & tear on your truck also). That being said, when it's deep, put the blade into the V position and travel down the center of the road. After cutting the center, then full angle the blade to one side to push the windrows back on each side, done.
    #3) 4 miles of road with an ATV could take quite a while and be quite cold. I personally wouldn't even consider that as an option.

Hope this helps you with your decsion, best of luck and keep us posted.

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think you would be happy with a V plow.

It will be much faster/easer in the morning to blast a path open after a big snow with a V plow.
    A snobear is not going to cut it in the mtns..

jmo

Ever think about getting a Unimog?.lol

20. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

The following 2 facts narrow your choices down:

1) 4 mile dirt road
    2) Possible snowfall of 3-4 FEET! :eek:

While this is technically for personal use, plowing 4 feet of snow from a 4 mile dirt road is not your typical driveway. Even if the road was paved I would call this a professional calibre job.
    For the record, I'm not a professional plow guy. My plow rig is for "personal use". It's a Jeep CJ-7 with a 6.5 Fisher Speedcaster professional strength plow (from the days when Fisher didn't make light-duty plows). I plow my 300' paved drive and my neighbor's 300' paved drive. It works great for my application, and I'd even agree that it's usually more than what I need for this job (although it's nice to have a little overkill when you get a wet, heavy storm). But I would not even entertain the thought of plowing a 4 mile dirt road with my rig. Add to that the possibility of having to clear it with 4 FEET of snow... forget it.

If the snow gets to 4 feet on the road, how deep will it be at the berm (sp?) where this dirt road meets the road that the town/county does plow? My guess would be 6-8 feet of dense, packed snow. That's when you need to have a V-plow. But even guys with 1-ton trucks and V-plows would have to spend some time to get through that. Many of them wouldn't even take on the job. They'd tell you to call someone with a front-end loader.

That being said, to suggest that a personal use plow would be appropriate for this application is irresponsible -- in my humble opinion.
    I think your best bets would be a V on your 3/4 ton Dodge, or get a very used dedicated plow truck (a 1-ton would be ideal). If you're not mechanically inclined, the beater truck is not the best choice. If you are, and you have the time to maintain it, it will save alot of abuse on your Dodge.

Just my 2 cents. After adjusting for inflation... still arguably worth that.

jp

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008