1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best truck for the job?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wisecp, Feb 13, 2009.

1. wisecp

wisecp Junior Member

I am new to the snow removal business. I am in the process of starting a full service lawn care business.
    I have found a 3500 HD dump truck with low mileage that I could use on the lawn care side of the business. It is not 4 wheel drive. Would it work for snow removal also??
    What are the pros and cons?:wesport
  2. Kunker

Kunker Member

Can you plow with it? Sure, it'll do a good job in some situations with a ton of weight in the back, but it all depends on what type of plow you're going to add (dually so it'll need to be wide), what type of plowing you'll be doing (driveways, small/large lots, etc) and how much experience you have (with out 4x4 you might get stuck easier).

A quick search will net you all you ever wanted to know about this.

Edit: And welcome to Plowsite! :waving:
  3. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

What all will you use the dump truck for in the landscaping business. I used to have a one ton dump with four wheel drive. At the start of my business it was the only vehicle I used for hauling mulch, gravel, debris, grass clippings, and plowing with. Plowing with a dump...not easy in smaller areas. If the dump has a screen window in the bed, then it's a little easier. Dump mirrors really suck for seeing what is directly behind you. Over the years my business grew and I bought two more 3/4 ton four wheel drive trucks. I also bought two 16 foot trailers (used for hauling my zero turns). I found that I can haul 6-7 yards of mulch on my trailers where I could only haul 4 yards of mulch on my dump. So, the dump started sitting more than what it was being used. Then I added a plow to one of my 3/4 ton HD trucks and found how much easier and more efficient it was to plow with the 3/4 ton HD. So now the dump and plow were not being used at all. I only used the dump to haul wood for myself. Then I tried the 16 foot trailer for hauling wood and I can damn near get the same amount of wood on my trailer. Sooooo...my suggestion...if you're starting a lawn care business...take that side of the business into consideration when looking in advance to the winter work season. I just sold my dump with the plow at the end of Janaury.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would stay away from 2wd. for plowing. I know people do it, but it's not easy. Also is the truck auto or stick? Auto would be best. A dump truck is a handy vehicle to have. You can do more with them than a regular pick-up. Be careful of engine size also. You don't need the biggest engine to accomplish normal towing and hauling. I use a 07' Chevy 1 ton Dump 4x4 6.0L for plowing and landscaping, the dump bed has sides that open down- very handy!
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I agree with the above statement.You will want 4x4 at some times. You will get stuck. I think a 1 ton or 3/4 ton truck SRW is way better then a dump. You can still see and if you want the dump option you can get a truckcraft insert. I thought my next truck was going to be another dump, but I am 99.9% sure i am going to get a 1 ton Ford SRW PSD and put in a aluminum truckcraft dump iinsert and the deicing unit for winter time. You can still see easily out of the truck in all situations and in the summer you have a dump option. I too also can load my 18ft trailer up with 8 yards of mulch or 4 yards of soil if need be and there is no need for a dump. And in regards to what size trailer you are getting, always get bigger becuase you will grow into it and it will be a lot more versatile for situatios when you want to haul large loads.So in conclusion I would go with the 4x4 option in whatever type of truck you pick up, dump or pickup. good luck..